soon-to-be exploding bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastweb

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have to admit it, I am dumb! I bottled a Fin du Monde Clone (belgian triple) today but when calculating my carbonation sugars I read the wrong line (DME instead ou dextrose) and I put too much sugars in my bottle. I saw the error after bottling. So, now I will have around 4.6 volume of CO2 instead of the 3.3 that I was aiming. So now I have a risk of exploding bottles and excessive foam....which is bad, and risky!

I thought I could wait for maybe 3-4 days and re-open the bottles for 30 minutes so that the excessive CO2 escapes the bottles, and recap. But I really don't know when (and for how long) to re-open them. Has anyone ever tried something like this with good results? Or would anyone have some tips to prevent over-carbonation and explosive bottles?

Thanks

I had a similar mishap with a dunkelweizen:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/too-much-priming-sugar-280118/

I had added DME & dextrose (I ran out of dextrose and miscalculated the DME) to a carbonation level of over 5 volumes. After 4 days I placed all of the bottles in backing sheets, with a lip to catch the overflow, and slowly pried the caps off all of the bottles. There was already quite a lot of foam and every bottle overflowed. After uncapping the bottles I placed a sanitized sheet of aluminum foil over them and let them set for a few hours to decarbonate a bit more. I then recapped them. I lost a couple ounces from each bottle but they all ended up carbonating pretty well. No bottle bombs, and no infections.

I had a similar mishap with a dunkelweizen:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/too-much-priming-sugar-280118/

I had added DME & dextrose (I ran out of dextrose and miscalculated the DME) to a carbonation level of over 5 volumes. After 4 days I placed all of the bottles in backing sheets, with a lip to catch the overflow, and slowly pried the caps off all of the bottles. There was already quite a lot of foam and every bottle overflowed. After uncapping the bottles I placed a sanitized sheet of aluminum foil over them and let them set for a few hours to decarbonate a bit more. I then recapped them. I lost a couple ounces from each bottle but they all ended up carbonating pretty well. No bottle bombs, and no infections.

Cool thanks

Latest posts

Back