repitching slurry into my Trippel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I rinsed a full gallon of slurry from my Belgian Dubbel last weekend (Wyeast 1214 Abbey Ale). I am planning an extract-based Trippel brew this weekend. The pitching rate calculator tells me I only need 162 mL of slurry - this seems very low. I don't want to overpitch, and I plan to make a starter to make sure it is active when I pitch it (OG around 1.085). Can I make a 1 liter starter (I have some leftover LME so I'll mix 120 g of LME in one liter to get 1.040-ish)

Also, this recipe calls for 2.5 lbs of table sugar, so I was planning on adding 1 lb during the boil, then the remaining 1.5 lb during fermentation to make sure the yeast consume the complex sugars before pigging out on the simple ones. When should I add the remaining sugar- at high krausen?

The pitching rate calculator tells me I only need 162 mL of slurry - this seems very low

Think of how much yeast is in a white labs vial. That is 35 ml of slurry. Of course yours will vary on the amount of trub you have mixed in. As far as when to add the sugar, I have never added sugar to the ferment. Maybe someone will chime in with some experience in that regard.

Back