Tripel smells skunky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBeerBaron

Reaction score
I brewed a tripel 9 days ago which included a 60 minute addition of 2 ozs of plug tettnang. I was having some siphoning issues and out of frustration ended up pouring the entire contents of my kettle into my fermentor. From the start I have been getting some extremely skunky smells out of my carboy. Has anyone experienced this and hopefully can tell me that the flavor my beer will be uneffected? OG was 1.082, currently at 1.018 and bubbling like crazy, really hoping this doesn't end in infection.

Thanks

Patience. Yeast can put off some odd smells every now and then. Your beer is definately going to take some time at that gravity. I'd leave it in primary for AT LEAST 4 weeks before bottling or transfering to secondary. Your beer will be fine.

Welcome to HBT!
I always pour my pot into the fermenter without siphoning or straining and the beers come out just fine. Smells (and taste for that matter) mean absolutely nothing during fermentation.

Your beer will go through many stages before it's finished so you can never judge it before it is finished, bottled, carbonated, and conditioned.

I'll bet you a beer that is beer will turn out just fine.

what yeast at what temp? Some of those begian yeasts make some funky things. If it's fermenting warm it will really produce lots of funk.

3787 trappist high gravity. Started at 65, now up to 69 degrees. The smell has gotten a lot more tolerable, when i got home from work yesterday i could hardly walk in the door. It coughed up the majority of the leaf hops out of the blow off tube, I'm thinking that plus yeast was the source of the odor. 4 weeks in primary huh? I'm going to have to buy another primary because that is entirely too long to go without brewing.

I defientely had some funk coming off of my tripel I brewed last summer. Its still conditioning and getting better every month, but not very drinlable at this point. Give a lot of time in the bottle also IMO. I had some hard core phenolic that has really mellowed getting to the point of being tolerable. Hopefully late spring early summer it will be ready.

3787 trappist high gravity. Started at 65, now up to 69 degrees. The smell has gotten a lot more tolerable, when i got home from work yesterday i could hardly walk in the door. It coughed up the majority of the leaf hops out of the blow off tube, I'm thinking that plus yeast was the source of the odor. 4 weeks in primary huh? I'm going to have to buy another primary because that is entirely too long to go without brewing.

I've used 3787 a number of times, and every time it is a smelly fermenter, generally a strong sulphury smell. That will go away with time, and it will go away when it's in the secondary, so go ahead and free up your primary a few days after the fermentation is complete. Be sure to measure that the final gravity is what you expected before racking. 3787 can benefit from higher temps towards the end of fermentation to get those last few points. I've taken it to 80F with no issues.

Of course, it can't hurt to have more primaries :mug:

Back