Neverending fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaglehoo

Reaction score
Good morning, all. I'm making the Affligem Noel clone from "Beer Captured." 2 weeks ago I pitched a 1L starter of Belgian strong ale yeast (WLP 570 I think), andnow my airlock is still bubbling, one bubble every 20 seconds or so. I popped the fermenter lid about 3 days ago and found no more yeast head, just a very thin layer if bubbles almost like carbonation fizz. The wort smells fine (smells excellent, in fact), but I have not seen this before. I just rechecked and found the same thing as 3 days ago.

So what does this mean? Is the beer still ok? Any chance this is some kind of contamination? (if so this would be a first in my 3 yrs of brewing) Should I go ahead and rack to the secondary or wait it out? Thanks! :confused:
Peter

take a hydrometer reading. same reading for 3 days means done fermentation. however, it has only been going for a week, so let it sit for another week. could very well just be co2 coming out of solution, or could be fermentation.

I understand that there is a lot to worry about when you start brewing, so I don't blame people for asking this, but we really need a sticky about this.

Everyday I see 2 of these questions, and often respond to them. Airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean that your beer is fermenting. And you shouldn't ask us if you've yet to take a hydrometer reading.

I don't mean to be rude, but a hydrometer is THE ONLY answer. There is no other way for us to know if a fermentation is complete.

Back