Nutty Brown Ale...work in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
First Nut brown recipe I have worked on..work in progress

11 Gallons
1.05 OG
SRM 17.5
IBU 33

14# 2 row US
3 # Munich
1.5# Crystal 40L
1# Brown Malt
1# flaked Oats(body and retention)
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Victory Malt

2 oz Perle 60 min
2 oz EKG 15 min
1 oz Hallertauer 5 min

US-05 yeast Mash 153 to 154

I have never brewed with brown malt..usually use victory ..so any thoughts or opinions would be nice..I do want a nice dark red silky malty but some balance with hops to keep the 2# of crystal from making too sweet.

Jay

Thanks..I have been brewing for 5 years now and for some reason have never made a nut brown...wierd..... because I do enjoy a nice brown now and again.

J

Looks nice to me! Color is just off the light side of the scale for American Brown, but IBU is dead on. Those grains are, I think, going to give you a very pleasant beer.

Cheers!

Bob

Toast the oats @ ~300oF for ~30 mins. I do this for my brown ale and oatmeal stout (see my 'Recipe' drop down). It really adds a nuttiness, especually to the brown ale. In fact, I just brewed a ten gal. batch of the brown ale last Saturday.

I really like your grainbill. This looks very tasty, good work man.

@ the brown malt, it is my understanding that it is the same thing as the Coffee Malt that AH sells. I used 5 oz in my last mild, and it is very nice. It'll fit right in with all the others.

Me, I would leave the SRM right where it is, I like my brown on the light side (but they always end up on the dark side anyways!!).

Looks pretty good...i like the use of the munich. However, looks like there are to many hops. Add 2oz of EKG at 60min and then 1oz of EKG at 15min. Hops should be very subtle and in the back for a nut brown

Looks pretty good...i like the use of the munich. However, looks like there are to many hops. Add 2oz of EKG at 60min and then 1oz of EKG at 15min. Hops should be very subtle and in the back for a nut brown

Remove Perle all together? I could remove the Halleraer..and leave rest..

J

Final Recipe:

11 Gallons
1.055 OG
SRM 20
IBU 31

15# 2 row US
3 # Munich
1.5# Crystal 40L
1# Brown Malt
1# flaked Oats(body and retention)
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory Malt

2 oz Perle 60 min
1 oz EKG 20 min
1 oz EKG 10 min
1 oz EKG 0 min

US-05 yeast Mash 153 to 154

I think it should be tasty..I will give updates..

should be a nece complex nutty brown with a good balance of hop and malt..:D

Jay

Back