Help with QUICK Decision (I'm an Idiot)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddup_is_a_middup

Reaction score
Just pitched Red Star Dry Champagne Yeast onto my ALE wort.

Recipe
3 lb Briess Gold LME
1.5 lb Muntons Amber DME
1.5 lb Muntons Light DME
1.5 lb Muntons Extra Lite DME
.5 lb Smoked 2 Row
2 oz Roasted Barley

1 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer 15 min
1.25 oz Cascade 10 min
.75 oz Cascaded 2 min

SG 1.053
Temp at Piching 75 F

I was making a brew with random ingredients I had laying around. Everything was going well. I was watching the Cardinals on Opening Day and accidentally pitched the champagne yeast instead of the packed of Muntons Dry Yeast I had.

What should I do. Leave it and see what happens or Pitch the Muntons as Well

Unfortunally I have no Homebrew, so I'm having a Hard time relaxing.

Umm...I think your are in a position where you can't do much. You are going to have a very dry beer methinks:D
Who knows it could turn out for the best.

Dan

Add some bread yeast.

EDIT: Sorry, TX said I have to say something useful, so RDWHAHB. It'll be quite dry. Perhaps you can call it the champagne of beers. Wait, that might already be taken.

I dont think that adding the ale yeast will make much of a difference. It may add some of its charecteristics, but I think that, yeastwise, the beer will be dominated by the champagne yeast. It should end up drinkable, if a little dry.

- magno

Sounds like almost the perfect Red Ale to me...

I wouldn't do a ****ing thing!!!!

:mug:

Sounds like you've made your mind up, but Dibby does have a good idea. You could add a couple of pounds of DME in a few days and end up with a monster.

It might be a little slow in fermenting & finish dry, but I don't see any problem. The smoked 2-row will probably be the dominate flavor after the Cascades.

How much longer do you think I should wait in the Primary, It seems to have stalled out at 1.023, The Temp has dropped a few degrees to 67. Whatcha think?

I concur---supplement with a mini-boil addition. As long as you've got a big-boy high-alc yeast in there, you may as well take advantage and make a big-boy high-alc brew. Here's what I'd do: put a gallon of water on the stove. Steep some specialty grains like special B or Victory, maybe even biscuit and honey malts. Take them out, then add a bunch of extract and some boiling hops, and do a little 30-45min boil. Cool it down and add it to the rest of the batch. You'll end up with a nice big-assed brew, rather than just an extremely dry one.

You could also add maltodextrin to that mini-boil, so as to add some unfermentables and make sure it doesn't finish TOO dry.

fiddup_is_a_middup said:
How much longer do you think I should wait in the Primary, It seems to have stalled out at 1.023, The Temp has dropped a few degrees to 67. Whatcha think?

how do you know it's stalled? any airlock activity? any krausen? you could raise your temps into the 70's and give the carboy a good swirl to rouse any lazy yeast.

SG has been 1.023 for 4 days and no krausen. I just went a head and kegged it. I will keep an eye on it and relieve some pressure if neccesary. after a couple of weeks I'll probably move it to my lager fridge and give it a few more weeks. It tastes pretty good, definitly a little dry but the hops and smoked 2 row really come through nicely.

fiddup_is_a_middup said:
SG has been 1.023 for 4 days and no krausen. I just went a head and kegged it. I will keep an eye on it and relieve some pressure if neccesary. after a couple of weeks I'll probably move it to my lager fridge and give it a few more weeks. It tastes pretty good, definitly a little dry but the hops and smoked 2 row really come through nicely.
Are you sure the gravity reading is correct? I wouldn't expect a 1.023 FG would taste dry. I tend to think of dry as 1.009 FG or lower.
Craig

Back