2nd batch questions.... temps issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
So my 2nd batch is an IPA of my own design (or rather a compilation of several recipes), and a few things may have gone wrong. First off, the recipe:

Boil: ~4 gal (3.5?)
3 lbs amber DME (boiled for 20 min)
5 lbs light DME (half added in beginning of boil, half boiled for only 20 min)

2 oz Chinook 13% (60-70 min)
1 oz Amarillo 8% (20 min)
1 oz cascade 6% (15-10 min)
1 oz UK Golding 4.5% (5 min)
1 oz Cascade 6% (dry hopped -- not added yet)
Yeast nutrient (10 min)

Dry US 05 Safale Ale yeast
Target OG and FG: 1.068 to 1.016
Measured OG: 1.064-1.065

I had fairly steady vigorous bubbling for about 5 days, but fear that I may have shocked the yeast, here's why: just after capping the fermentor, I noticed that my fermometer had cracked somewhere and leaked its fluid, rendering it useless. Given the apparently vigorous fermentation (and the 75+ degree day/60 degree night ambient temps), I put the bucket into a large bin full of H2O up to the wort level and put a frozen water bottle in about 2-3 times a day. This went well for 4 or 5 days, however I could not tell if my temps were a little high or a little low. I began to worry 2 nights ago that I might not have the right temp, so I removed it from the ice water bin and several hours later it still felt pretty cold to the touch. Ever since I popped the top and still saw krausen 2 days ago (I know, I know, I'm impatient), the airlock activity has been nil.

Could this mean the yeast were fine in the cold water while giving off lots of heat, but got too cold and went into shock once the majority of activity slowed and didn't offset the cold water? I know I should just wait probably... but part of me wants to check the SG and see how far along I am. Should I just let it sit at ambient temps for a while? Yesterday I noticed slight blue and yellow colors on the fermometer (some residual chemical in there) at 68-70, and stroked it with my finger and it jumped 2 degrees, so I think 69 degrees F is fairly accurate?

Should I: 1) check SG and see if the majority of fermentation completed and if so rack to secondary for dry hopping, 2) shut up and leave it for a week, 3) worry about having to order yeast to re-pitch or do any sort of stirring?

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to do this 2nd batch without asking for too much help.. so much for that haha. Thanks yall :fro:

I'd give it another week and then check SG. If it's good then move it into secondary for dry hopping. There's not much you can do about temp issues now except try to keep it at 65-70 ambient, you're probably just fine.

Back