March Swap - brett's beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this so I am making one...very...very late.
Good news is the beer improved greatly with age!

I drank the first 4 bottles of the session ale in April sometime, and I took notes on one of them, but lost that paper...

The final bottle of Session as well as the Apfelwein were banished to fridge purgatory by SWMBO many weeks ago, apperantly.

Review of Session Ale (after 2 months in bottle at 35 degF):

Carbonation is low for the style but I prefer it that way.

Aroma is light and earthy, very clean with a hint of the crystal? malt coming through.

Appears light copper and very transparent if you are careful to leave the yeast in the bottle. This yeast did not want to floc out even after the aging.

Taste is quite good. Again very earthy followed briefly by a slight floral/grassyness. Light clove...
This would go well with a spinach salad with vinegarette dressing. Yum!

Mouthfeel is perfect for this style IMHO. Just enough body to taste like a real beer but not so much as to fill one up.

I am to the bottom of the glass now and there is no head remaining nor did it lace. This is likely due to the low carbonation.

All in all, this beer is a great session ale with no trouble in the flavor department. The low carbonation is great at a summer party when you're carrying the glass around everywhere, it won't foam over!

OK,

Aroma:
Lightly hopped, slight maltiness, and no off aroma. 10/12

Appearance:
Really good straw color, looks very inviting. Slight chill haze, or it could be I didn't let it settle enough from transport. 3/3

Flavor:
Light, Clean, Crisp, and Balanced. Beautiful Session Beer. 15/20

Mouthfeel:
Good carbonation, nice smoothness, no astringency 4/5

Overall:
A good summertime session beer, that is light and refreshing. 8/10

40/50 Total

I didn't grade the apple wine, but it was excellent and tasted just like mine. Thanks for the brews.

Latest posts

Back