Question about Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I recently brewed a sweet stout, and had a couple questions:

1) I didn't add the lactose yet, and am planning on doing before boiling (along with my dextrose). What is the best method for doing so? Boil in water (how much?), and then toss in bottling bucket?

2) I'm not seeing much fermentation... it has been a day and a half, so usually bubbling pretty good right about now. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Because the yeast doesn't eat the lactose, you can add it at any time. I add it to the boil, but you can add it as you suggested, at bottling. I use about 2 cups of water when I make a priming solution, I would think that same would work in your case.

As for your fermentation, I wouldn't worry yet.

Your lack of finding information may be because it's usually added in the kettle. I would certainly boil in water for a minute to sanitize. My question would be if there is any fermentability with lactose to account for if adding at bottling time.

Does "bubbling pretty good" refer to air lock activity? If you're using a bucket it's too easy for the lid not to seal. I usually shine a flashlight on the side to spot activity. But depending on how much yeast was pitched and the temperatures, there may not be a lot of activity.

Thanks for the comments and the help! And yeah, should have clarified on that; I was referring to air lock activity, and I'm using a carboy.

What are you calling nothing? If it's in a carboy try shining a light on it and look for fine bubbles coming to the top. Are there spots of foam that doesn't go away? Does the wort stay cloudy?

These are some early indicators. I use this more so for checking my starters as they tend not to have a major krausen.

Hey PT Ray,

Should have specified; I meant no bubbles. I checked right now with a light, and there are spots of (what looks like) foam/thick bubbles, covering a good portion of the top layer. Any thoughts? Early indicators that things are going correctly? Thanks!

there are spots of (what looks like) foam/thick bubbles, covering a good portion of the top layer.

If there wasn't fermentation going on you wouldn't have that. If your airlock isn't indicating a positive pressure, something isn't sealed or maybe the water level is too low.

As I'm looking today, the amount of bubbles/foam has decreased a lot. I took off the airlock and readjusted it to be safe. Any thoughts on if this is a problem, and if it is what I should try doing? Thanks

Latest posts

Back