Insulation option for Ferm and Serving Chamber folks... Dow Froth-Pak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randar

Half rib short of a full rack
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have long-term plans to build a fermentation and serving room(s) and so far have just been watching these threads with interest. A lot of various options out there for folks to use for insulation.

I came across this stuff as an alternative to hiring someone to spray out the room:

http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/insulation/frothpak.htm

I think it would be a viable option for folks with some of the larger build plans and such. Did a search here and didn't see it, but am curious if anyone has used it.

I used a similar two-part urethane foam for insulating a spa. Very good for filling oddly shaped volumes and it bonds parts nicely. Really cut down on vibration when the jet pump was running. The amount of expansion can be difficult to judge, so using it in closed spaces is risky. When insulating the spa, I layered it over several days.

Looks (and is made by the same company) of those spray foam cans you can get at home depot. I think it's called great stuff.... this looks better but similar.

There are many types of expanding foam. Great stuff in a can is very strong and can break things. It's known for damaging windows and doors. The two part foam you mix up is a different animal, typically used in marine applications. Being able to pour the stuff and a slower reaction time allows you to make sure you filled a cavity completely, the spray stuff, not so much, many times it has expanded and blocked an area before you can fill it completely.
I didn't see anything relating to expanding strength in the Frothpac description.

There are many types of expanding foam. Great stuff in a can is very strong and can break things. It's known for damaging windows and doors. The two part foam you mix up is a different animal, typically used in marine applications. Being able to pour the stuff and a slower reaction time allows you to make sure you filled a cavity completely, the spray stuff, not so much, many times it has expanded and blocked an area before you can fill it completely.
I didn't see anything relating to expanding strength in the Frothpac description.
My intended use here was not to spray it into enclosed settings, rather an open framed-out structure prior to enclosing. Expansion strength should have very little impact in such a setting, no?

Given the poly-based 2-part sprays are also non-breathable and adhere to the materials they are sprayed to, I can't imagine a better insulator and air-tight seal in a walk-in-cooler or ferm chamber type of setting.

Urethane foam is good but it can get expensive if you want to do a whole walk-in. If you're talking about completely filling the stud cavities on a 4x6 walk-in, that's something like 40 cu ft of insulation. You'd need the Froth Pak 600 for that, which sells for a cool $750. Yowza.

hadn't thought about the actual cubic footage... 4'x6'x8' with 6" studs would be roughly (184 sq ft including ceiling) is 92 cubic feet of insulation material and would require 2 of the 600 paks. That gets expensive quite quickly! Can probably get someone to come in and do it for you for less. doh.

Back