Brewing a blueberry wheat tonight. How to make it not bitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
Topic says it all. I'm trying a blueberry wheat after trying a great version of it at a local microbrewery.

I made a strawberry blonde most recently that turned out to be super dry, and I'd like to avoid that while still using fresh blueberries as opposed to syrups.

Any suggestions? I'm still fairly new to brewing and am considering adding say 1/4 cup malto dextrine as it's an unfermentable sugar.

Dry or bitter? I was going to answer bitter: don't over-do the hops.

As far as dry, I've never done a fruit beer but to avoid dryness, you have to use techniques which will keep the final gravity up a few points.

What's your process?

Attenuation and bitterness are two different things. I suppose some left over sugar will help "mask" some of the bitterness...is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Use less hops for very little bitterness.

I don't know if adding maltodextrin is going to do much other than add mouthfeel. The beer will finish at a higher gravity, but the maltodextrin won't add any sweetness, so I have feeling it won't affect how you perceive the bitterness. If you want to keep some mouthfeel and sweetness around to mask some bitterness then maybe cold crash you beer before it is done fermenting. Of course, if you carb in the bottle this won't help much unless you also cold crash those otherwise you will just get bottle bombs. If you keg it should work.

Honestly, if you just want to make sure your bitterness is not too much just don't use as much hops.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, when I say bitter i really mean a dry flavor.

When should I add the lactose?

Back