Coffee Brown Ale help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutile21

Reaction score
I love coffee and want to make a coffee beer. I mostly see porter and stout recipes, which generally call for dark roasted beans. I have been roasting my own coffee for about a year now and only drink light roasts. Light roasted coffee brings out the flavor of the bean which can be smoky to fruity. In dark roasts you only taste the roast character of the bean (starbucks). I think that in a stout this roast character would accentuate the roasted malt flavors. However in light roasted coffee (city to full city roast) the flavors tend to be very delicate at times. I have an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe that tastes like blueberries and peaches. I would like to uses these fruity flavor profiles to augment my beer. I think that these flavors would bee lost in a porter or a stout and was thinking of use a southern brown ale. I think the sweet and low hops of this style would go great with a fruity coffee. Does any one have a suggestion?

rutile21 said:
extract, but aren't northern browns a little more hoppy

Traditionally, yeah... but no one says you can't modify the hop schedule to suit what you are looking to create :mug:

Latest posts

Back