A question about perfect machines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobbi.....!

Your thread is out of control... just like you planned my deary... (said in a creepy voice)

But still, bring back your craziness to this thread, it's much sainer than any of us posting at the moment.

Bobbi.....!

Your thread is out of control... just like you planned my deary... (said in a creepy voice)

But still, bring back your craziness to this thread, it's much sainer than any of us posting at the moment.

I think they are trying to belittle me, 'cause I'm female, only way they know how, trust me, I can deal with that. No worries, this is the drunken ramblings area and I think there is a moderator around somewhere if things get too out of control.

I think they are trying to belittle me, 'cause I'm female, only way they know how, trust me, I can deal with that. No worries, this is the drunken ramblings area and I think there is a moderator around somewhere if things get too out of control.

I would never! You are a well respected fellow brewer. I just happen to not flirt much with known male brewers. All I've ever said is for fun. I hope you have received it as intended.:mug:

I would never! You are a well respected fellow brewer. I just happen to not flirt much with known male brewers. All I've ever said is for fun. I hope you have received it as intended.:mug:

;) ... He asked me to add some craziness...

Smurf off!

Don't make me call the gangsta smurfs on your smurf... :eek:

Gangsta_Smurfs.jpg

Okay, my building techniques shall not be belittled!! Okay so.... how do I explain this.... well, I just erased everything I wrote because I don't know all the right terms and it probably wouldn't make sense. I can picture it in my mind but trying to explain the process... the words aren't coming to me right now. But the building, which is one solid piece, is embedded into the main concrete slab, not just into the additional trough area. The end caps are not pure cosmetic, but I'd have to remove the interior walls to show you those braces. It's not going anywhere.

So here you go... my shed and it's solid foundation.

foundation1.jpg

foundation2.jpg

foundation3.jpg

foundation4.jpg

To lschiavo: When I made the first comment about belittling I wasn't even referring to your comment, if fact, I had not noticed it yet. But since you responded, I went with it. I think you take things too personally sometimes. Just an observation. And it's a good thing! You know how to read something and apply it to yourself, more people should have that trait.

Oh, and the chain I mentioned is under it all, an additional holding device. Laid first in strips, frame then constructed, connect to the chains on either side, then main slab was poured, solidifying it. The bolts you see going into the trough area are merely additional, those go down about 7 or 8 inches though... so nice additional holdage(and no they are not drilled in, the cement was poured around them).

Structural integrity on a completely enclosed object, against wind.... You know like the U-Haul truck you see ahead of you on the highway during a big storm? Uninformed driver flips the ***** over?

Imagine, some of the wind was allowed to flow through.... then it wouldn't hit the truck like a ton of bricks....

I'm thinking I really should have gone electric instead of propane. Except with propane I can still brew if a sunami hits and all power is out. But then again I live in CA so no sunamis. (I can't even spell it) but we do have earthquakes... hmm.

I'm thinking I really should have gone electric instead of propane. Except with propane I can still brew if a sunami hits and all power is out. But then again I live in CA so no sunamis. (I can't even spell it) but we do have earthquakes... hmm.

Propane explodes, electric fizzles out... whatever your preference, I guess.

What, the windows and doors? Already thought of that, shall I go on? Where do you see it?

The metal embedded in concrete. The concrete will eventually wear off the galvy coating, exposing the base metal which will then rust/rot away creating failure points. Especially with all the crap you show in the picture up against it trapping moisture. :eek:

There's a reason why they don't expose metal that's in concrete. Especially with something like your shed, which will flex during a decent strength (non-hurricane) storm. Don't know how long it will take to fail, but eventually it will. :D

Tsunami's can (and do) still hit CA... Depending on how far inland (and your elevation) you are it might not reach you.

Rust on galvanized steel? It's triple coated now... yeah, leaves just started falling and I need to clean that up.... just requires a little maintenance to avoid....

Rust on galvanized steel? It's triple coated now... yeah, leaves just started falling and I need to clean that up.... just requires a little maintenance to avoid....

Unless it's actual high grade stainless, eventually it will fail. Just the nature of the beast. Get a minor penetration of the coating, and you have a failure point in the making. With concrete being composed of lots of sand, you have a lot working against the coating.

Just saying, it's not as perfect as you may have thought. :eek: :D

Starting to see a bit of a pattern here. :cross:

Okay, coating will wear eventually, without perfect maintenance... best I could do with the materials I had to work with. What did you expect, perfection?

Okay, coating will wear eventually, without perfect maintenance... best I could do with the materials I had to work with. What did you expect, perfection?

Of course I do :eek:... But not from you. :D

As far as the maintenance to keep it good for the long term, probably not worth the effort. Just check on it from time to time, keep it clean and don't let water pool up around the shed structure. Water pooling on concrete is typically a really bad idea. Unless you had them pour the concrete that that actually sets up under water (not likely since that stuff is expensive).

But next time I will use high grade stainless steel, bend and galvanize myself... make it better... Too bad I used plain 'ole steel.

I think I'll just keep it like it is, imperfect, but will perfectly suit my needs...

Oh, and water won't pool... I thought to build it upon a little hill.

Back