Stir Bar Inside Capped Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
Alright, I got this idea the other day when I was talking to some folks about shaking primed bottles on a daily basis to help them carb faster.

Anyways, what if you had a 1 gallon growler and had it on a stir plate. Do you guys think this would work to carb the bottles faster since the yeast will always be suspended?

I may have to try this!

To my way of thinking, the beer is still conditioning and "ripening" as it goes through the carbing process. So if you could conceivably carb a beer in 3 days as opposed to three weeks, you'd still be drinking green beer. IMHO...

To my way of thinking, the beer is still conditioning and "ripening" as it goes through the carbing process. So if you could conceivably carb a beer in 3 days as opposed to three weeks, you'd still be drinking green beer. IMHO...

No, I agree that the beer will still be green, but some beers really are good green. I have a simple pale ale that the flavor starts to deteriorate over a few months. I typically keg and serve it within a few weeks after the boil.

never had to shake or roll the bottle and they all turned out great. The yeast will do what they need to on their time line not yours. While yes some beers are to be drunk while very young like Hefe but the yeast is pretty much in suspension anyways.

never had to shake or roll the bottle and they all turned out great. The yeast will do what they need to on their time line not yours. While yes some beers are to be drunk while very young like Hefe but the yeast is pretty much in suspension anyways.

I agree that leaving them alone for a few weeks works. There is no question about that. I did an experiment a few weeks ago where I had two cases of brown ale and I shook one case every day and the other I left alone. Both were in the same closet at the same temp. Once a week I'd pjull a bottle from each and ask someone to do the pepsi style challenge to compare which one had more carbonation. The ones that were shook won every time.

Sure that will carb the beer faster. You can't use a growler though and so you probably are using around 27 bombers per patch. Thats a lot of stir bars and stir plates.

I've got a faster, cheaper and easier solution. A soda bottle, a c02 bottle and regulator, a ball lock quick disconnect and a carbonater cap.

Yeah the coke bottle works, but that's no fun. Shoot, I'd rather use dry ice.

Back