Bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I am using the standard Oxyclean method of removing labels.

I have a white film on the bottles after I rinse and dry. What does everyone recommend washing them with/in before sanitizing in starsan?

I would like to know before I do my first bottling this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Then lots of rinsing.

I have been just soaking mine in hot water, then peeling the labels off & scrubbing them with a brush. Most of them come off right away & the glue residue goes away pretty quick too. Is this a bad method?

Soak in hot water, peel labels off, rub residue off with mr.clean magic eraser..

My first bottling I had all different sizes of bottles, total PITA. Kept having to move the bench top capper up and down to the bottle height. So I decided that I needed all the same type of bottle, and lots of them.

I did not like the idea of buying bottles without beer in them, so I only bought Sierra Nevada 24 oz pale ales from Bev Mo.

I kept a 1 gallon pitcher next to the sink, and after rinsing the bottle out, I filled the bottle with water, and placed the bottle in the pitcher of water. Next morning peel, and a scrub brush will take off the glue easily. Place the bottle on the beer tree to dry, and then into a sealed Rubbermaid tub.

Do not use dish soap, it will take forever to rinse it out.

The bottle rinser, bottle tree, and the blast bottle washer are indispensable for me:

bottle rinser.jpg

xctmpW5y4tX.jpg

xctmp54JjMX.jpg

well i was sold a few weeks ago on the bottle tree and blaster. I was doing a brewery tour of the stone brewery. they were hand bottling some limited edition small batch bottles to be released with there upcoming book. they were washing and sanitizing each bottle by hand using none other then the large bottle tree. i figured if it is good enough for them i should look no further for a solution.

Back