Have I made ethanol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombob

Reaction score
Im now to this. In summer I had a go at my first wine. Picked some elderflower, boiled it, added sugar, yeast, citric acid, and nutrient. I fermented it in a 5gal vessel.
It has been frementing for all this time. In this time I took it off the waste at the bottom a couple of times, then into demijohns, and racked off once more.

Today i have taken my first sip. It tastes strong and warms the throat like a whiskey would. I then decided to check the SG, I was expecting it to be 1.000 as id let it ferment out fully. But its down at 0.990. Original SG was 1.080.

I just wanted to check just incase this stuff might make me blind.

Cheers
Tom

A specific gravity of 1.00 corresponds to water at the correct temperature. If something has a specific gravity of 1.00, then it has the same density as water.
Ethanol has a density that is significantly lower than water and will cause the specific gravity of your mixture to be somewhere in between 1.00 and .789(ethanol) assuming there is no sugar or particulate matter present. (SG=.990 is perfect for wine).

In other news, yeast + sugar= ethanol + CO2, so you're drinking ethanol.

Cheers for the replies.

thankgod for that, it does not taste too bad.

waiting for the pear wine now.

Back