Beer Bread Using Trub/Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
So, I know we can make "beer bread" by using beer, but can we use the yeast cake from the primary to make bread?
If so, how much is recommended? Has anyone done this before?

Not sure if the beer yeast will act the same as bread yeast. You could give it a try though. I would grab no more than 1tbsp of the yeast cake for a first run/test. I would wash/rinse the yeast first though, so that you get mostly yeast and not other junk. Make a small starter to ensure the yeast is awake when you go to use it and see what happens...

Be sure to post up the results. Include what yeast strain you're trying this with.

I know this is an old post, but I actually did this yesterday. The bread came out okay, the hops give it a pronounced bitter flavor that I think could be offset with honey or fennel.

Here is how I made it:

I let the yeast cake settle. Then, I poured the liquid off, and tossed about a cup and a half of the yeast cake in a bowl with 2tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 cup of honey, and 1 cup of flour. Let that sit overnight.

Then, I added 1tbsp of salt, and put it in the kitchen aid with a dough hook.

I kneaded on low, adding flour a half cup at a time until it formed a ball, peeled from the sides, and crawled up the hook.

Spread olive oil on top, and let sit until it doubled.

Once the dough doubled in size, I punched it, kneaded it by hand for ten minutes, and then set it aside to double again.

Once it doubled the second time, I turned it out into a stoneware lidded crock that had been prepped with a bit of olive oil and had been preheated to 450*F. I brushed the top with egg wash (one egg white, and a tbsp of water), put the lid on it, and cooked it for 30 minutes at 450*F.

Then, I took the cover off, brushed it with egg wash again, and let it cook uncovered for 15 more minutes.

Took it out of the oven, turned it out onto a wire rack, and let it cool for twenty minutes before cutting.

Back