Which IC??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukit

Reaction score
I've decided to go stainless. I like the idea of an Immersion Chiller that's more durable and easier to clean. The conductivity differences between and SS and copper are minor in this application.
I've narrowed it down to two units and was looking for some opinions.
It will be used in a 15 gal Spike Brewing kettle for 5 and 10 gal batches. I understand a 50 footer will have some exposed coils but I'm not ready to buy two chillers just yet.

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/beer-ho...ort-chiller-garden-hose-fittings-38-x-50.html

http://www.homebrewing.org/SS-Wort-Chiller-50-38-tubing_p_2384.html

I'm leaning towards the Adentures in Brewing IC because my garden hoses can lay on the ground instead of running them up to the top of the chiller. I'm concerned that hose weight could work against the chiller seating well within the kettle. I also think the hose attachment provide some more flexibility for setup and break down.

I may eventually add a recirculating arm and pump wort back into the kettle (ala Jamil style) but it all starts with a decent IC. Which one gets the nod? Cheers!

Just about the same. If I had to choose I would go with the one from adventures in brewing. I have one made of copper with the same design and have no issues with it. Just have to be careful the hoses don't get too close to the flame if your using a burner.

It looks to me like you're paying $19 for $5 in vinyl tubing and $4 in mini-hose clamps.
With the Brew Supply chiller there's no reason you couldn't remove the hose fittings and add your own tubing so your connections are wherever you prefer. I doubt the 0.5" shorter coil height will grossly affect cooling times on a 10G batch.

Back