cask beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
We went to 3 bars last night that were each featuring a different cask beer from a local brewery. I've had cask beer before and loved it, this was even better and I think they served it from a "pin". It looked like a small keg laying on it's side on a wooden stand. Is there anyway to use a corny and make the beer taste the same as cask conditioned?

I'm working on the same thing, my plan is to add 1-2 oz of priming sugar to the corny and hit it with some co2 to seat the lid, then keep at room temp for at least 2 weeks after that it is just a matter of hooking up a cobra tap to the gas in disconnect and tilting it to pour using gravity I'm thinking that I will attach an air filter to the beer out disconnect and what ever is left after the first day of serving I will use to fill some growlers.

cask conditioning is the method of priming and serving, the amount of co2 will effect flavor but a cask conditioned flavor I'm not really sure exactly what you are looking for. What beers did you have on cask?

I'm working on the same thing, my plan is to add 1-2 oz of priming sugar to the corny and hit it with some co2 to seat the lid, then keep at room temp for at least 2 weeks after that it is just a matter of hooking up a cobra tap to the gas in disconnect and tilting it to pour using gravity I'm thinking that I will attach an air filter to the beer out disconnect and what ever is left after the first day of serving I will use to fill some growlers.

cask conditioning is the method of priming and serving, the amount of co2 will effect flavor but a cask conditioned flavor I'm not really sure exactly what you are looking for. What beers did you have on cask?

We had Ithaca's Flower Power IPA, Pale Ale and Cascazilla Red Ale. They were all incredible. Unfortunately they only had one cask at each place so by the time we went to all 3 places I only got 4 pints. I think the lower carbonation and the warmer serving temp. is what made them taste so good.

Bottling is essentially the same as cask. I drank cask ale all my life, and my bottles are as close to the same that I can't tell the difference. I like the idea of casking though, if only for presentation even it is only to myself!! Maybe some mini kegs are in order so that you can naturally carb, but not have it sit too long??

Jamil talked about doing cask ales using corny kegs in one of his podcasts. I think it was the Brew Strong episode about attenuation.

I'm in canandaigua! where did you have those beers? I have to go to rochester to get a casked beer.

We were Ithaca at the Alehouse, Bluestone and Korova. It was a special put on by Ithaca Brewery.

Have you been to the Tap and Mallet in Rochester?They usually have a cask beer. I love their beer selection.

We go to MacGregor's in Can. a couple times a month.

yea, the tap and mallet had a really nice beer selection the last time I was there. I do go to macgregor's once and a while. I want to get down to the wine and culinary center I heard they have a new beer tasting section.

Back