what should i rack onto my wyeast 2565 kolsh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
i always make this dunkel beer, "death by dunkel", i just transferred from primary to secondary, and i want to brew tonight, and rack straight onto the yeast cake, but i'm in the mood for something different. anybody got any suggestions of what i should brew tonight? :drunk:

would like a java stout, or a porter of some kind work? i'm not too familiar with what all would work well with this yeast.
oh, i don't have lagering capabilities either, so keep that in mind please.

thanks!

brian

Baltic porter.

They are usually made with lager yeasts, but I would bet a Kolsch yeast at cool temps would work out very well.

aren't baltic porters usually lagered though? i can't lager, or really ferment much cooler than around 70* right now.

Yeah, they are made with lager yeast.

Only other thing that I can think of is to make a Oktoberfest ale, I hear they work out well with Kolsch yeast.

If you want to wash the yeast, I made a cream ale with 2565 that came out quite nice.

BM's Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale clone uses Kolsch yeast.....but really anything you want to be clean could work.....so a pale ale, blonde, cream ale, or any pseudo-lager

American Rye, maybe... Been thinking about one of those myself.

thanks for all the ideas, i let the owner of my lhbs talk me into trying a classic american pilsner. not really my style, but i'll try anything once.

I did a cream ale with the yeast from my Kolsch and it turned out wonderful. I am not sure in your case as you are going from a dark beer Dunkel to a Light beer. I like the Baltic Porter idea myself.

Back