Max bottle CO2 Vols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizak

Reaction score
I've been planning on brewing some more malt/yeast showcasing beers (Belgians and such)considering the dreaded hop shortage, and don't have a kegging system yet. I've been wondering, what is the maximum CO2 volumes a standard, 12 oz. beer bottle can take without disintegrating? I would love to make a spritzy golden strong ale or a nice effervescent Hefe, but all I have are standard brown bottles, and I'm a little concerned about carbonating to the levels those styles usually demand. I understand that bottles are quite different among individual breweries, just wonder if you any of you guys have any input into bottling those styles.

Cheers.

:mug:

Problem is, there's no "standard" brown bottle. I found one web site that suggests the max is 50 psi, but have no idea where the info came from:

http://www.yobrew.co.uk/beer.php (scroll about halfway down; there's a table on alleged different max pressures by bottle type)

3.5 volumes at 45F requires 27 psi; that beer conditioning at 70F is going to be under ~45 psi.

I'd look for some champagne bottles, or think about using PET.

The PETE/PET bottles are a good idea. You might also consider Duvel bottles they have a ton of carbonation. Or consider going with Corny kegs. I use the corny keg so I can carbonate the living daylights out of my beer.

well, I bottled a stout once that started close to 1.050, and I bottled at 1.024.
5 weeks later I had exploding bottles.

So whatever another 10 points, plus about 2points for the priming sugar...maybe 10 vols of CO2? probably less...

Back