Homemade SCOBY - First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRub

Reaction score
Hi Everyone -

I decided to go with just one more quart jar for this first real batch. I figure after this, Ill have my new baby and a mother, and be able to really start making some KT in bulk.

I wanted to attach some pictures, as I am interested in your comments!

I have one darker spot, but I do not think it is any type of contamination.

100MEDIA36IMAG0964.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG0965.jpg

100MEDIA36IMAG0966.jpg

I just made my first batch as well. I got a little paranoid when I saw what I thought to be black spots. I've concluded it's just a pocket of air created by the gas buildup. Scoby gets thin in black tea..... it's an iliuuuuuuusion

I think the bubbles, as mentioned will be either bubbles or, at time in my case.. yeast pockets. As mentioned in a prior reply.. I'd suggest using half black and half green tea.. or, use at least some black tea.

In my experience the SCOBY both filters the tea (you'll find flecks of tea like pepper appear in it) and is ultimately stained by tea. Older SCOBYs will darken all over while younger ones appear to have spots and dark areas.

Latest posts

Back