should I clip them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrkrausen

Reaction score
My cascade plant is growing like mad. It has maxed out my setup at the moment and I'm thinking I should go ahead and clip the main bine. I can't really raise the post any more because I don't think it will be stable enough. I have also seen what looks like the beginnings of hop cones on the cascade plant. So what do you think, should I clip it? And is it just a matter of taking scissors to the tip? I have definitely learned a lot this year and am going to change things up a bit next year so I won't run into this problem again. The picture of the whole setup was prior to moving the post up the fence. The bine has since reached the top again.

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

Leave them alone and just retrain them down a little maybe and let them go back up.

Just let them get longer, once they are long enough, bend them down and let them grow back up the string

+1 on leaving it alone or training them horizontally toward the fence posts on each side. Your trellis is pretty low and most of the hops are produced pretty high, so your best bet IMO is letting them get as long as they will grow. To train them horizontally, just run some twine out ten feet or so to each side and every day or two give it a wrap on the twine. It will want to grow up again, and repeat. A bit more labor intensive than letting them go vertical but it works fine and makes for easy picking.

Right on, I'll just let them grow. I really didn't want to cut them so this is good. I may try to run some twine horizontally along the top of the fence. Thanks for the advice.

Back