Need more hop aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Let me preface this topic by saying I am by no means a hophead and have always been a stout/malt guy, so I need some help here.

I made a 5g AG irish red and wanted to get some hop aroma/taste from the full oz. of Saaz I added at the end of the boil (10 minutes left). I taste/smell no Saaz.

Here's my recipe (loosely based on the Northern Brewer Irish Red recipe)

Pale 10
Special Roast .5
Biscuit .25
Chocolate .25
Williamette 1oz 60
Saaz 1 oz 10
Nottinghams

Options:

Increase late additions including an addition at flameout.

Dry hop.

Try a hop bomb. Add all your hops at the end of the boil, enough to bring your ibu's up to where you want them. No 60 min - 30min hop additions.

Flameout additions work well, you won't get much if any aroma from a 10 minute addition.

_

Just curious but how (and how fast) are you chilling your wort? IMO, how fast you chill has a big effect on late additions.

Yeah, before I got my immersion chiller I was using the ice-bath method and I could never get much aroma from my late additions, even adding at flameout. I finally decided to just dry-hop anything I wanted hop aroma for, and to consider even flameout additions as flavor instead of aroma. Haven't played around with it since I got my wort chiller, but I'm curious to see if you are having the same problem but still chilling fast. Either way, I'd throw my support behind dry-hopping!

Dry Hop, mash Hop, First wort hop, whirlpool hop....increase amounts, try whole cone for dry hopping...etc.etc..etc...

How will mash hopping and fwh affect aroma? They won't.

_

FWH is primarily for flavor, but also does add a level of aroma to the beer. This is just in my findings though. You appear pretty definitive in your answer, but I respectfully disagree with you.

FWH is primarily for flavor, but also does add a level of aroma to the beer. This is just in my findings though. You appear pretty definitive in your answer, but I respectfully disagree with you.

And mash hopping?

_

And mash hopping?

_

i am just starting to experiment with this now and I have not done a beer that only uses mash hops so I don't have concrete evidence at this point, but I would assume it would be very similar to first wort hopping.

I have done numerous beers with only a FWH addition and the beers do come out with noticable hop aroma.

Just curious but how (and how fast) are you chilling your wort? IMO, how fast you chill has a big effect on late additions.

I have a immersion chiller. Please know I have been brewing for 6 years.....so these are all suggestions I thought as well, although I have always thought of below 15min. additions as flavor/aroma hop additions.

I guess I thought 1 oz. Saaz at 10 minutes was enough, and was hoping to hear something like - "that's not enough hops for Saaz" or "add that amount later" -

Do you think the amount is right? Obviously I am getting that the timing needs to be later.

For comparison, I really like the nose on Coronado's Golden ale. I was hoping for something like that aroma.

I have a immersion chiller. Please know I have been brewing for 6 years.....so these are all suggestions I thought as well, although I have always thought of below 15min. additions as flavor/aroma hop additions.

I guess I thought 1 oz. Saaz at 10 minutes was enough, and was hoping to hear something like - "that's not enough hops for Saaz" or "add that amount later" -

Do you think the amount is right? Obviously I am getting that the timing needs to be later.

For comparison, I really like the nose on Coronado's Golden ale. I was hoping for something like that aroma.

Two words. Hop tea. Add it to the beer when kegging. I do it on every batch that benefits from aroma/flavor, at least an ounce.

lots of mixed opinions on dry hopping saaz - search some of the other threads to see what others results were

I have added 1 oz of Simcoe at 2 mins left in the boil. Simcoe has incredible hops aroma... I love that stuff. I pull it back out (Hop bag) once I start the immersion cooler so it is a controlled/ measurable amount of hops aroma... did I mention I love the smell of Simcoe... It just smells so good. Not sure if it would fit in with the profile of the beer you are making... just an idea :)

I think saaz has a pretty delicate aroma and 1 oz in a malty grain bill like yours might get overpowered just a little. I would add another ounce at flame out personally.

ha yeah sorry for the sarcasm. its basically the same proportion as beer, except hops get utilized a whole lot more without the additional gravity in the water. so if you're looking for the hop flavor and aroma from an ounce at 10, maybe throw .75 in the water and boil it for ten

How would one go about creating a hop tea!?

Get a french press. Sanitize it. Then boil some water, and either boil some hops for 5-10 minutes or just add the hops and water to the french press, depending on how much bitterness you want. Strain. Add to keg.

I always just use the amount of water to fill the french press, and I don't boil the hops. It's like adding at flameout. I don't care much about utilization rates because I'm generally not doing it for bittering. Although I did use some EKG hop tea boiled for 60 mins to bitter up a chocolate stout I made recently that was lacking in flavor. Worked great.

I am experimenting with also making crystal or roasted barley teas, to add to new recipes that I've brewed if they end up lacking in sweetness or roastyness. My experience with hop tea has led me to believe that you can tweak a beer a fair amount after you've brewed it.

My simple rule is, aroma comes at less than 2 minutes. The suggestions for the dry hop are in my opinion the best, that is followed by steep at flame out and then a 2 minute addition. Anyway that is the way it works for me.

Get a french press. Sanitize it. Then boil some water, and either boil some hops for 5-10 minutes or just add the hops and water to the french press, depending on how much bitterness you want. Strain. Add to keg.

I always just use the amount of water to fill the french press, and I don't boil the hops. It's like adding at flameout. I don't care much about utilization rates because I'm generally not doing it for bittering. Although I did use some EKG hop tea boiled for 60 mins to bitter up a chocolate stout I made recently that was lacking in flavor. Worked great.

I am experimenting with also making crystal or roasted barley teas, to add to new recipes that I've brewed if they end up lacking in sweetness or roastyness. My experience with hop tea has led me to believe that you can tweak a beer a fair amount after you've brewed it.

Some interesting thoughts here. Is there another thread where you've discussed this further?

Back