Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedigitale

Reaction score
I've had mixed opinions on this. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

Yes. I am aware that a lemur is not a monkey.

lemur_logo_lowres.jpg

well, you said it there. it ain't a monkey. I like the label, maybe leave out the one liner on the bottom as I could see you having to say "I am aware a lemur is not a monkey" everytime you hand a bottle out.

also, why isn't the lemur in your pic laughing as the name would suggest? is he laughing on the inside? he looks kinda stoned to me.

I dont mind the lemur not being a monkey... what does sorta bug me is how serious he looks, when he is supposed to be laughing.. and those lines on his eyes make him look drunk/stoned (not necessarily a bad thing)

other than that its pretty solid.

It looks sad. It would be better if it looked like it was laughing. I feel like a name like that could have some almost cartoonish labels/logos, like Flying Dog does or something. It's not bad by any means, but I feel like parts of it don't mesh well. That's just how I would do it personally.

haha.. as I typed my post someone else typed basically the exact same comment as me - that should be a good indication of how your label is being perceived

I see it as a Lemur in a mug shot. He has obviously had a hell of a night; ragged ears, blitzed eyes, slumped posture... I think the name and the figure would work very well, but as showcased above, you need to lead the observer to that conclusion. A catchy one liner would work well for this, but the monkey around thing doesn't jive.

Maybe, "Following the leader didn't work out so well for Lenny Lemur." or "Follow your darkest desires." Something that plays off the Lemur following the leader to dark ends would be good.

Ok, so it seems that I need to make the lemur happier. I was shooting for a bit of irony, which some people sort of liked, but it seems most of the reviews lead towards making the change.

What if I changed the tagline to read something like... "No more funny business"

My wife actually did a bunch of sketches for me and they were in color. This particular rendition (or whatever it turns out to be when final) will be for single color printing on glasses and such.

I'm also trying to avoid going too cartoony so that if one day I get to a point where I'm able to distribute, the ATF doesn't categorize me with Joe Camel and force me to change the logo.

Have you tried wrapping the "Brewing Company" around the bottom of the circle in the same way you wrapped "Laughing Lemur" around the top?

Yeah... made it look too uniform and tough to read. I want some sort of tagline below it, and it doesn't look right at all with the tagline.

There was another home brewer that did "Laughing Llama Brewery" last year and had a laughing llama holding a beer (sans monkey reference)

Back