Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybrew

Reaction score
Good evening HBT!
I'm working on convincing my better half to let me build a mini-fridge kegerator. I can get a basic kit (keg, CO2, regulator, lines) that doesn't have a shank for $189 at our LHBS. It looks like I can get a fridge off craigslist for about $30-$50.

I really just wanted to see how much everyone else spent on their setups to compare if this is a good deal or not.

I just saw a kegerator complete with tank (w/ CO2) taps and all for $150 in the LosAngeles listings...

Cheaper... but may not be cooler...

www.kegconnection.com generally has the best deals, and their cheapest kit is $134.95 (~$150 shipped for a keg, 5lb tank, regulator, lines).

You have a couple choices for your savings:
1. Go ahead and buy a nice faucet, shank, etc. now instead of realizing this the second time you have to open the fridge to pour a beer(~$55 for a good perlick and SS setup)
2. Buy a 2nd keg to expand your pipeline (~$40 shipped, you can probably get cheaper local)
3. Realize you will want to expand in the near future and upgrade to the 2 keg system right off the bat for ~$210 shipped

2 Guinness Stout faucets with new Guinness handle, 1 used one not, with Sankey: $100 (total) (Ebay)
6 Reconditioned 5gal Cornies: $100 (Place in Nicholasville, KY)
Big Refrigerator on Craigslist: $80
Shanks, hoses, regulator, disconnects, etc - everything else for 2 beer lines: $130 (Beveragefactory.com)

I will probably be buying my friends 20lb CO2 Tank with regulator for $75. Could use that regulator for portable use.

Just waiting on my beer to ferment. I can't wait to pour the first pint.

Old Fridge with shank and faucet. 5lb tank that was full. Plus a sankey.
Some lines but decided to go all new.
$50.00

So ya....I got a smokin deal....Allmost felt bad.....Allmost. :D

$200 7.2cf Magic Chef
$50 Johnson Controls temprature controler
$200 Midwest Dual Draft (dual body reg, tank, 2kegs, hoses)
$50 2 more kegs locally
$30 3port manifold
$30 QDs and hoses for 2 more kegs

$560 if i add a collar, I can fit 2 more kegs, but i like my tank and a dozen chilled glasses on the hump.

4 different homebrews on draft.... Priceless.

Total for Kegerator $545.35

Kegerator parts List
Chest Freezer` $125.00
Love Controller $54.00
Dual Gauage Regulator $69.00
Perlick Forward Seal Faucet x2 $86.00
3" Shank x2 $24.00
Neoprene Beer Washers x5 $1.50
Beer Hex Nut for shank x2 $2.10
Stainless Tail Piece x2 $6.50
Black Plastic Handle $2.50
Shipping for above items x2 $16.00
5 Kegs -$30.00 (Yes -$30. I got a deal on bulk, sold some bought new came out with 5 kegs an $30 in my pocket)
Beer Line $36.00
Gas Line
CO2 Tank $100.00
Keg Orings $8.00
Keg seals $4.00
Ball locl Barbs $37.50
Gas Swivel nut $3.25

This is for functional parts. Add in tools needed for work and lumber for trim and tap box.

Ok so what I can take away from this is that a $250 2 Keg build isn't a bad deal. I can't wait to get started on this, can't decide if I want to go with a tower or not... =)

Rusty,

Do a craigslist search in your area for 'kegerator' first. I found a bunch of em for under $200. Included fridge, lines, faucet, CO2 bottle w/regulator, corny kegs, sankey kegs..etc. If the fridge or freezer is in good shape, faucet works and the CO2 bottle is still good (hasn't expired, 5 year DOB) you have easily saved yourself a bunch of money and time.

good luck

Back