The meaning of bubbles in the airlock :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now I know from reading here that if I don't see bubbles in the airlock that does not mean nothing is happening but is the reverse true? If my airlock is still active is there any point in checking the gravity or is it still fermenting?

It could be fermenting, or the temperature could have changed, or the cat bumped up against it. So no, the reverse is not necessarily true.

A hydrometer is the only way to know exactly what the beer is doing.

Your airlock activity may also just be the beer offgassing any number of compounds. Definitely worth checking the gravity even if you see airlock activity.

If you are getting a regular stream of bubbles in your airlock within the first 5 days of pitching the yeast it is definitely a sign of active fermentation. An odd bubble here or there, maybe not. But more than that is a sign of fermentation.

Mine bubbles approx every 15 secs.. I'm debating wheathr its still fermenting or if I should take so. Gravity.. any suggestions?

- I'm a newbie!

The airlock is nice because it is fun to watch during activity, but never forget that the hydrometer (or refractometer) is your most important tool. It will give you all your answers either directly or indirectly.

Latest posts

Back