Time to bottle? Or too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Exactly a week ago my friend and I made a Brewers Best Irish Stout. On Monday morning I woke up to the airlock covered and flowing out with krausen... I read on here to create a blowoff tube, but I had to get to work, and I didn't have the right size tube at the time... so I pulled the airlock out, wiped everything down with 3% hydrogen peroxide, cleaned the airlock and put it back in... at lunch, I picked up the right size tube and created the blow off which worked great. Well, about Thurs (4th day from start) it quit bubbling. I left it alone and yesterday decided to place it in my secondary. When I removed the airlock the krausen had hardened up around the bottle neck and kept any air from escaping, which is probably why it wasn't bubbling. Anyhow, it is now in my secondary and there are no bubbles or air coming up... I'm wondering if maybe I messed up and now there isn't enough yeast to bottle or if it is done and non-recoverable. I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks before bottling... would just like some advice on if it is still headed in the right direction or not... any advice would be greatly appreciated...

I am still quite the n00b but . . .

I would venture a guess that the response is going to be RDWHAHB.

Also, I doubt the krausen actually blocked the air from escaping. Fermentation can build up pressure enough to blow up beer bottles so if there was actually fermentation going on it would have blown through the hardened krausen without issue. And I don't think pressure stops fermentation either.

Someone more experienced can correct me if I'm wrong though.

It is fine, there are billions of active yeast suspended in the beer that moved to the secondary. They don't care where they are. Leave it for two weeks then proceed.

maffewl said:
Exactly a week ago my friend and I made a Brewers Best Irish Stout. On Monday morning I woke up to the airlock covered and flowing out with krausen... I read on here to create a blowoff tube, but I had to get to work, and I didn't have the right size tube at the time... so I pulled the airlock out, wiped everything down with 3% hydrogen peroxide, cleaned the airlock and put it back in... at lunch, I picked up the right size tube and created the blow off which worked great. Well, about Thurs (4th day from start) it quit bubbling. I left it alone and yesterday decided to place it in my secondary. When I removed the airlock the krausen had hardened up around the bottle neck and kept any air from escaping, which is probably why it wasn't bubbling. Anyhow, it is now in my secondary and there are no bubbles or air coming up... I'm wondering if maybe I messed up and now there isn't enough yeast to bottle or if it is done and non-recoverable. I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks before bottling... would just like some advice on if it is still headed in the right direction or not... any advice would be greatly appreciated...

You're fine. Don't worry. And don't bother with the secondary next time. It is rarely necessary.

never heard of using peroxide to clean. weird. I think you are fine just RDWHAHB

Back