Too much air/space in bottles - what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenLion

Reaction score
I bottled my first brew (English Red Ale) around a month ago and it took me a few attempts to perfect my bottling technique. Several of the bottles have too much air/space at the top - maybe 2-3 inches. When I drink those beers they are not very carbonated and just do not have the same taste as the correctly filled beers. Is there anything I can do now about it? If I just leave the bottles to condition longer will they eventually get more carbonated? Or is there another technique to correct my mistake? Thanks for any advice.

Time should heal what ails ya...

Really, I believe the process is the yeast eat the priming sugar creating CO2. That CO2 enters the head space and creates pressure. When the pressure reaches a certain level the CO2 will start to stay in the liquid to maintain a balance, thus carbonating you beer.

So, a larger head space means it will take a longer time to reach the needed pressure to start carbonating the beer. Just like there are posts about how small head spaces seem to carbonate quicker. For bottles that have a small amout of beer there are stories of bottle genrades. In this instance, there wasn't enough liquid to hold the extra CO2 so the pressure in the headspace just kept increasing until the bottle broke.

I would guess that time is all you need. Opening the bottles to mess with them would probably cause more harm than good IMO.

The one issue could be not enough CO2 produced to get the pressure you need to really carb things up. Some more time will tell, but I would not chill the bottles yet. If you chill them you are going to put that process tro sleep, and you will not get anymore CO2. I would check them again in 3-4 weeks.

Back