Is this just floating yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I noticed something floating on the last bottles I pulled from a rye extract I did a while ago and wanted to check if it's just yeast or something else. I did a quick check of other bottles from that batch and I don't see it in all of them. The camera didn't really have a good macro range so it's hard to see any detail. Just yeast particles?

694596458_6wvrB-M.jpg

Oh My God!! That beer is horribly infected!

Haha..just kidding. It looks like krausen to me. Your beers will form a mini krausen in the bottle after you add priming sugar. It's usually not noticeable, but you've caught it. Give it a few weeks and let it settle out.

I should have included this in the first post but this was bottled over a month ago back on 9/17. Seems like it should be settled by now.

+1 on jiggling.

By the way...what's up with the green bottle? Do you enjoy skunked beers or are you just extremely careful about light exposure? This is a good reason to use dark amber bottles. If you can't see inside them, you can't worry.

i agree. its normal. jiggle, let sit in warm temps for a couple weeks, then stick it in the fridge for a week.

and yes darker bottles are better.

+1 on jiggling.

By the way...what's up with the green bottle? Do you enjoy skunked beers or are you just extremely careful about light exposure? This is a good reason to use dark amber bottles. If you can't see inside them, you can't worry.

Green bottles you ask? She who must be obeyed is a fan of Spaten Optimator. I should try to recycle them but I'm to the point where I hoard bottles.

FWIW, I keep nearly all bottles in a closet, in a box, with trash bag over the top to try and limit light exposure.

Latest posts

Back