First time buying in bulk...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
Gonna head down to More Beer in Riverside tomorrow and pick up some 50 lb sacks of grain...
Thinking about 1 ea of Domestic 2 row, American pale and ?...
I mostly make ales and IPA's...What do you think...?

Just out of curiosity, why less modified pils? Wouldn't that make your life more difficult when mashing? If you want to do decoctions with it, you can still do that with the fully modified pils, but you just don't need to worry about protein rests and stuff (multiple steps).
I could understand trying out a batch with less modified pils, but a whole sack? ughh.

I like British-style ales, so I bought one 55# sack each of Maris Otter and Golden Promise. Both make a good base malt for what I like. My GF wanted to perfect a hefeweizen, so I also got 55# of Belgian pilsen malt and 55# of light malted wheat.

To me, American pale and domestic 2-row are pretty close to one another... maybe think of getting the MO or GP instead? I agree with Hokie as well... not sure why you'd want less-modified Pils.

Because I am ignorant...I like pale ale, IPA, wheat and hefe too...Just trying to get started...help...!

Why not go with a sack each of:

American 2 row
Malted Wheat
Pilsner Malt

Also get a few other specialty grains for color, flavor and or head retention. Maybe some crystal 40, chocolate malt, munich malt too. With above base malts you can make almost any style of Ale and also a good Wheat Beer. BTW I like honey malt, it helps to sweeten the brew.

Just my .02

Ya think like 5 or 10 lbs of the specialty grains..?
What grain or adjunct helps in head retention..?
Some of my ales have it...some not ???

For specialty grains, that depends on how much you're gonna brew. For the amount of base malts you're looking to get I would say about 10 lbs each for specialty grains to start. But again it all depends on how much you brew. As far as grains for head retention I always use a little of wheat malt in my brews (ales) anywhere from about 1/2 lb to 1 full pound depending on the type of beer being brewed. There are other grains that will help in head retention but right now it slips my mind. Flaked oats also help in head retention. Try a search to find those grains for head retention I know that atleast it has been brought up before.

Back