question about Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-pa

Reaction score
I just got a kolsch kit from midwest with wyeast act2565: There is a few things I don't understand in the directions it says it requires a cool secondary fermentation .( that yeast ferments well at 55-60 degs with temp. range of 54-70deg) so how cool and how long should the secondary be, and also when it is time to bottle should the temp be raised back up for carbonation, if so to what temp?

I just got a kolsch kit from midwest with wyeast act2565: There is a few things I don't understand in the directions it says it requires a cool secondary fermentation .( that yeast ferments well at 55-60 degs with temp. range of 54-70deg) so how cool and how long should the secondary be, and also when it is time to bottle should the temp be raised back up for carbonation, if so to what temp?

Those Kolsch yeasts often take a long time to settle out. You want a kolsch to be very clear and not have a yeasty flavor. A lot of people will put the secondary as low as possible (but above freezing) for a couple of weeks to help crash-cool--that is, put the yeast to sleep and let it fall out of suspension.

I personally would then rack it to the bottling bucket or another fermentor (to get it off that yeast) and let it come back up to room temperature before priming and bottling.

I've done kolsch a few times. I've always just used a month in primary at 55-65 F and let it carb and condition at room temp. Let us know how it goes.

Back