How do i read recipies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recordsmith

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a bit of a noob and I am not quite sure how to read recipies, specifically the schedules. For example:

Bittering hops:
1/2 oz. Perle [6.5% AAU] (60 mins.)

Flavoring hops:
1/2 oz. Willamette [4.5% AAU] (45 mins.)
Finishing hops:
1/2 oz. Cascades [6.0% AAU] (10 mins.)

Fining agent:
1 tsp. Irish moss (30 mins.)
this is from a recipie for a cream ale that I found on this site. If it says the boil is 60 minutes how do i read this? Are the numbers how long they a boiled or when I put them in?

The recipie is just not written in the way I would think it in my head... Thanks
Jon

The numbers are how long they are boiled.

I question the time for the Irish moss. This is usually added for the last 10 - 15 minutes of the boil - not 30

-a.

Huh, Budbo hit the send button first, but at least we both agree,.

You add the hops at the times specified.For the most part you will boil for 60 minutes so the bittering hops are added when the wort comes to a boil. I start my 60 minute timer at that point. The flavoring hops generally are added towards the end so with the recipe you posted I would add them at the 45 minute mark of your boil.
Aroma hops a lot of times are added at flameout or a few minutes before you turn off the heat to the kettle.
I add Irish moss for the last 15 minutes.

You can use those numbers to determine how much bitterness the hops will bring to your beer. For instance 1/2 oz. Perle [6.5% AAU] (60 mins.) will add about 28.3 bitterness units to your beer. If you wanted to substitute another hop, say Northern Brewer which has say 13% AAU you would only use 1/2 oz to achieve the same bitterness level.
If you are following a recipe and you want the bitterness to be the same you can adjust if your hops don't have the same %AAU as the ones stated in the recipe.

Think of it as a countdown with the first bittering addition being the beginning. Get an old-fashioned kitchen timer. When the boil starts, crank it to 60 & toss the bittering hops in. Then watch it for the other additions.

Some recipes make the first addition at 45 to 120 minutes, but most use 60.

Back