No luck with cooler at HD.. next best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Yesterday (after seeing "I am not there"), I did a run through Target for a thermometer (neah) and HD for a beverage cooler.

Two questions:
HD does not have the round bev. cooler anymore... or is it a seasonal thing -- contractors switched for Gatorade to beer, perhaps..??

What is the next (available) best in either the 5 or 10 gal. category?
I did read posts about it... Igloo Cube or the Walmart Igloo Marine rectangular 48 qt, correct?

I bought a 10 gal rectangular cooler yesterday at wal mart for 24.99 because I could not find a round one either, But however I know there are 10 gal round ones on ebay but there like 70.00 bucks.

I just bought the below cooler for $25 from Sams. 60qt wheeled rectangle and it doesn't have the issues the cube coolers have with the wheels.

Had its maiden mash in yesterday and couldn't be happier.

0007169124647_L4.jpg

HarvInSTL said:
I just bought the below cooler for $25 from Sams. 60qt wheeled rectangle and it doesn't have the issues the cube coolers have with the wheels.

Had its maiden mash in yesterday and couldn't be happier.

0007169124647_L4.jpg

Damn I should of went to sams i like that cooler, Even got the drain plug right in the middle, Mine is on the end.

Did you ask anyone at HD? I just bought one 2 weeks ago, but they were all wrapped up on a pallet up on the top of the shelving they use. They had no problem getting the lift and getting one down for me. Oh, it was only a 5 gallon though. No 10 gallons.

beergears said:
Harv, it looks like a Rubbermaid, is it not?

Hmm, is it really $3 to watch you touch it..?

Yep it is a Rubbermaid Endurance. It held my 20lbs of grain & 10gal of water @ 150deg pretty well. I started my mash @ 151 and 70mins later it was at 149. I'm ok with a 2deg swing in 70mins.

It is $3 to watch me me touch it.
$1 to look at it.
$2 to touch it.
$5 to touch it while I touch my toes.
$6 to touch it while I touch your toes.
$10 for a BJ
$12 for an HJ.
$15 for a ZJ.

[YOUTUBE]feKbhuZIeBk[/YOUTUBE]

Found a 5-gal. blue cooler, Rubbermaid (Gott) at Lowe's

And all the parts as described in the Partial Marsh Tun wiki article!

Oh, and Dick's Sporting Goods also rang the 30 qt turkey fryer set at 40 bucks, even though it is marked down to 56 on shelf, as someone pointed out before. they have a few left...

A busy shopping afternoon!

If you want a round style, you're better off with a 10 gal. HD seems to only stock these in the summer (I got mine on clearance in August/September). Someone mentioned you can special order them (from HD?) and they'll show up in a couple days for about $45. That being said, the rectangular ones seem to be as good, more readily available, and cheaper.

Not all HD's carry the 10 gallon. we have two stores here in Lincoln. one carries both 5 and 10 gal, the other ONLY 5 gal. no spot on the shelf or anything for a 10gal.

the 5 gal works fine up to about 12lbs of grain unless you do a really thick mash, and two batch sparges. it also soaks less heat than the 10gal. I think I lose 8 degrees when I dough-in.

I ordered my 10 gal round cooler from Ace Hardware. $48 USD and they delivered free to the store.

Theyput the ten gallon coolers away for the winter, i just asked where they were and someone got a ladder and picked one of the shelves for me.

Latest posts

Back