Harvest yeast from 2 yeast batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigljd

Reaction score
Here's the story - I recently brewed Jamil's Oatmeal Stout (OG in the mid 1.05's) and used WLP002 to ferment it (68 degrees - hit it with 60 seconds of O2, etc). The target FG was around 1.017, but the washed WLP002 (1st Gen) that I used either got lazy or maybe the oats in it and a warmer mash temp caused it to stall out at 1.022. For about 5 days I tried rousing the yeast, warming the beer up into the low 70's, but nothing would get the yeast to wake back up. I know WLP002 does not attenuate well, but I'm only at about 60% attenuation and that is low by even WLP002 standards.
So I have some extra packets of Nottingham laying around and I decided to rehydrate a pack and pitch it to get the FG down a few points because the sample tasted a bit sweeter than I wanted. The Notty did knock it down a few more points, and this morning I threw the bucket back in the fermentation fridge and am crash cooling it so I can keg it.

My question is that my next batch will be an English Porter (something similar to Fullers London Porter) , and my original plan was to rinse the yeast from the stout and use it with the porter. But, since I added the Notty to the last batch I'm wondering what the results would be if I washed the mix of yeasts and used it in the Porter?
I know WLP002 is Fullers yeast and to get something like Fullers Porter I should stick with WLP002. But to save a few bucks and satisfy my experimental side, I'd like to use the mix yeast, just to see how it turns out. I'd think WLP002 would be the dominate yeast since it went thru a much larger growth cycle than the Notty, since the Notty was added at the end of fermentation. And they are both English style yeast (albeit with different flavors).
Anyone have any thoughts on why I shouldn't harvest the yeast mix and use it with my English Porter?

IIRC, that recipe is mashed pretty high and another degree higher could contribute enough unfermentable sugars to boost your FG.

I wouldn't worry about it or add more yeast,

I would also go ahead and pitch on that cake if you want. Or, depending upon the OG of your porter, wash half the cake and save it for later, and pitch on the rest.

Cool - I think I'll wash a couple jars of it and try it with the porter on my next brew day.
I have visions of the WLP002 and Notty working side by side in harmony, fermenting away on all of the wonderful sugars and creating the greatest beer ever :fro:
In reality it'll probably be a war zone with the 2 yeast fighting it out for dominance. But it should end up be a decent beer, I'd think.

Back