Danby two keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuirc

Reaction score
I've searched for several hours and haven't found a post to directly address this point, so I'll ask the question.

I have a Danby DKC645BLS-2. Until recently I've been just using one of the taps. Now I have a Dunkel Hefeweizen that about to come out of the fermenter and I want to set up the second tap. Unfortunately, Danby's instruction manual has no information on how to have your CO2 tank on the outside and run the second gas line into the kegerator. There is only one hole for running a gas line inside.

I suppose the easy answer is to just move the CO2 inside, but I don't want to do that. I'd prefer to keep it in the holder on the back. So, it looks like I need to drill a hole. I saw another thread where someone put a temperature probe hole just under where the gas line is on the upper left part of the back of the kegerator. If anyone knows if this is a safe place to drill, that would make this a pretty easy operation. Suggestions welcome.

Chances are there isn't a cooling line near the original hole BUT one way you can be sure is to take a sharp box cutter and gently cut the inside plastic next to the whole, remove a chunk of that and gently dig at the insulation with a screwdriver. If you don't see a line then drill.

Why not run the single line inside and either T it off into two lines or use a manifold?

Well, I guess mostly because I have all the parts to run the second line if it drill it and I'd have to buy stuff and figure out stuff if I decided to use a manifold. I looked at a thread where someone was considering going that route to avoid drilling a hole and it looked like they were going to have to buy $80 worth of pieces and parts to avoid drilling one hole. I mean, if you have to, you have to, but that's what I'm trying to find out.

I'd probably move the tank in the kegerator if that's the option. It doesn't seem like this needs to be a project. I bought a two tap kegerator so it kinda seems like it ought to be a no-brainer to get two kegs running in it.

Thanks for the idea though.

tuirc said:
Well, I guess mostly because I have all the parts to run the second line if it drill it and I'd have to buy stuff and figure out stuff if I decided to use a manifold. I looked at a thread where someone was considering going that route to avoid drilling a hole and it looked like they were going to have to buy $80 worth of pieces and parts to avoid drilling one hole. I mean, if you have to, you have to, but that's what I'm trying to find out.

I'd probably move the tank in the kegerator if that's the option. It doesn't seem like this needs to be a project. I bought a two tap kegerator so it kinda seems like it ought to be a no-brainer to get two kegs running in it. I don't understand fully why it would cost $80 bucks considerig a manifold is ~40 and it comes with everything you need but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for the idea though.

Well when it comes to DIY you have two options. Shovel out the money or get dirty. My time isn't worth anything so I'll happily take the time to do what I previously posted to drill another hole. If you feel its better to spend money vs time than a manifold is the way to go.

A 2 way manifold will run you ~40

I don't like morebeer but for sake of convenience, here's a link:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16388//Gas_Manifold_-_2_Way

Given the way the cold plate was situated in the back of the refrigerator, it would have very difficult to try to use a box cutter in the back corner where I needed to. I agree though, that would have been the safest way since I didn't know it was safe to drill there. In the end, my desire to get the second tap up and running without any potential damage to the kegerator out-weighed my desire to have the tank on the outside.

So, I turned off the gas to the Nut Brown Ale, yanked the tube and moved the tank inside. I reattached and turned the gas back on, things look pretty good. I need to pick up a couple washers and a clamp at the store and I'll be ready to carb the Dunkel Hefe that is now in the kegerator.

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar issue/question. I have Danby 645 which I normally have 3 kegs in, 1 gas line and a three way manifold, and three tap tower.

I'm currently looking to add a beer gas line and stout faucet. Has anyone successfully added a second line from an external tank into a Danby 645?

I was also thinking that instead of going through the refrigerator unit, that I could drill the back of the tower (or add an extender) and snake a gas line down from the top, that doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing but it is not a show piece anyways. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Back