How much specialty grains is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggben

Reaction score
So I read somewhere that having too many specialty grains in the grain bill can increase the FG. Something about it making too many unfermentable sugars. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true and what percent would be to high for say a imperial stout?

Crystal/caramel malts contain mostly unfermentable sugars. So they will raise both your OG and your FG. They will not prevent the sugars from your extract from being fermented. Imperial stouts are high gravity beers to begin with, so I'd think you'd want to use a lot of specialty grains. But start with a strong, high gravity base and layer the crystal malt on top of that. Post a recipe for critique if you need more specific advice.

Batch size 5.5 gallons
Boil size 7.1 gallons
Boil time 90 minutes
Grain weight 21 pounds
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.102
Final gravity 1.020
Alcohol (by volume) 10.7%
Bitterness (IBU) 57
Color (SRM) 60.6°L
Yeast
20 dry grams
Dry
Danstar Nottingham Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
21 pounds
2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 13 pounds
61.9%
Chocolate
29ppg, 350°L 1.5 pounds
7.1%
Oats (Flaked)
32ppg, 2°L 1 pound
4.8%
Liquid Molasses
36ppg, 80°L 1 pound
4.8%
Barley (Flaked)
32ppg, 2°L 1 pound
4.8%
Crystal 80L
34ppg, 80°L 1 pound
4.8%
Munich (Light)
34ppg, 10°L 1 pound
4.8%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 0.5 pounds
2.4%
Black Patent
27ppg, 500°L 0.5 pounds
2.4%
Barley (Roasted)
28ppg, 500°L 0.5 pounds
2.4%

Hops
6 ounces
Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Whole 2 ounces
Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
Northern Brewer hops
9%, Pellet 1 ounce
Willamette hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
Fuggles hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce

Additions
5.25 ounces
Cocoa nibs
Flavor 4 ounces
Licorice
Flavor 1 ounce
Vanilla bean
Flavor 0.25 ounces

Mash
60 minutes, 9.5 gallons
Strike
Target 153°F 6.2 gallons
167°F
60 minutes (+0)
Sparge 3.3 gallons
185°F

Boil
90 minutes, 7.1 gallons
Northern Brewer hops
9%, Pellet 1 ounce
90 minutes (+0)
Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Whole 2 ounces
60 minutes (+30)
Willamette hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
45 minutes (+45)
Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Pellet 1 ounce
30 minutes (+60)
Fuggles hops
5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
15 minutes (+75)
Licorice
Flavor 1 ounce
10 minutes (+80)
Fuggles hops
5%, Pellet 0.5 ounces
5 minutes (+85)

Ferment
78 days @ 57-70°F
Rack to secondary 64 days (+14)
Cocoa nibs
Flavor 4 ounces
14 days (+64)
Vanilla bean
Flavor 0.25 ounces
14 days (+64)

Will this recipe have too many unfermentable sugars in it? my brewing software says that it will stop around 1.020 FG, But it isnt always accurate, i was wondering too if one pack of nottingham will be enough to chew through this or if i will need 2 maybe 3 packs?

1.5 lbs Chocolate
1.0 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.5 lbs Black Patent
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley

It's probably getting up there. For this big a beer, I think I would mash close to 149 F instead of 153 to try and get a decent attenuation.

Yes, you should use 2 packs of Notty.

FG calculations in BeerSmith don't mean anything. They are based solely on OG and specified yeast attenuation. There is no accounting for different types of sugars, mash temperatures, or fermentation temperatures (you would probably get the same result if you had 100% Lactose vs. 100% cane sugar).

1.5 lbs Chocolate
1.0 lbs Crystal 80
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.5 lbs Black Patent
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley

It's probably getting up there. For this big a beer, I think I would mash close to 149 F instead of 153 to try and get a decent attenuation.

Yes, you should use 2 packs of Notty.

FG calculations in BeerSmith don't mean anything. They are based solely on OG and specified yeast attenuation. There is no accounting for different types of sugars, mash temperatures, or fermentation temperatures (you would probably get the same result if you had 100% Lactose vs. 100% cane sugar).

Nice thats what i thought, but how do you determine how much specialty grain is too much? I plan on making this beer soon so I am trying to get a handle on this percentage thing.

Nice thats what i thought, but how do you determine how much specialty grain is too much? I plan on making this beer soon so I am trying to get a handle on this percentage thing.

in general, you want to keep specialty type malts <20% of the total grain bill. caramel type malts should be <10%. this is just in general, you can push any limit you want and make good beer. but to be safe, i'd recommend those numbers as a guideline.

Ok so what should i scale down in this recipe to fall under that line, i want it to be sweet and chocolatey still and not to overly roasty. I will be throwing cocoa nibs in secondary for chocolate FYI so how do i scale this one is my question

Actually I think you're right around 20% there. IMO I might go down a little on the chocolate and crystal 80 and replace with base malt. I think you can brew as is though, that's just me.

from what i understand the hops will mellow out as it ages, and this beer will have to age for a while to mellow out

Ok so what should i scale down in this recipe to fall under that line, i want it to be sweet and chocolatey still and not to overly roasty. I will be throwing cocoa nibs in secondary for chocolate FYI so how do i scale this one is my question

Dump the black if you don't want it to be overly roasty.

Latest posts

Back