What came in the mail for you today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow AM I am scheduled for delivery of 1 pound each of
Citra, amarillo, cascade, williamette, debittered hops, and Hallertaurer

Time to get brewing

Four reconditioned kegs from Williams, thank you Black Friday!

image-1140607489.jpg

A box of camlocks and a refractometer from Brew Hardware and a three burner propane regulator from Adventures in Homebrewing.
Still waiting for the three 15 gallon Tall Boy kettles, yeast, grain and hops from Northern Brewer and Christmas day for the SS Chugger pump and three Blichmann burners.
I love Santa and longevity bonuses!

8lbs of Belgian Pilsner
1lb of Caramunich
an ounce of Opal Hops, and some 1388 incoming.

I will have 4 recipes on deck waiting to be brewed, this is going to be a good weekend.

had a new corker come in the mail today. getting my tripel recipe locked down asap to fill some bottles. stoked!

image-226147158.jpg

Pulley system from harbor freight. No more fighting with that wet bag of grains. Aint nobody got time for that.

Stepping into all grain finally so got lazy and picked up NBs 10G system with a free 6 gallon carboy. UPS man was impressed with the delivery and multiple trips to the Big Brown Truck.
Now for warmer weather to arrive...

Stepping into all grain finally so got lazy and picked up NBs 10G system with a free 6 gallon carboy. UPS man was impressed with the delivery and multiple trips to the Big Brown Truck.
Now for warmer weather to arrive...

No I was not.

7lbs of hops showed up for me today! As much as I love supporting my LHBS, with IPA being my favorite style and almost 1lbs of hops going into some of my most recent batches, I couldn't continue giving them $2 an ounce when I could buy in bulk for less than $0.75 an ounce.

Here they are all vacuum-sealed in jars. Now the war for freezer space with SWMBO is on!
hops.jpg

And even though I am familiar with each of these varieties, I couldn't help but setting up a dry-hopped Bud Light tasting test with them.
dry hopped bud light.jpg

I will be, still dry-hopping at the moment. I used 2 grams of hops per bottle (should be close to what I dry-hop most of my IPAs with) and am going to let sit at room temp till Friday, cold crash Friday night and have a tasting on Saturday. Going to invite a few family/friends over to join me in the tasting.

Also, as much as I would love to claim credit, this isn't my idea. I first read about the technique at bertusbrewery.com.

Got a few fittings and ball valves in yesterday for modifications to the setup... just have to wait a little longer for the spray nozzle and some temp probes and I should be golden :D

Stainless bayou burner came the other day and stainless bayou kettle with fittings came today. Pretty stoked to do a full boil instead of partial, in aluminum on the stove.

A bunch of stuff from Amazon,

1/2" Tee, 90* Elbow, nipples, coupling.

Cuisaid scale weighs up to 11lbs. Looks great, with a nice big digital display.

Petro-Gel Lubricant. NSF

and plastic ball jar lids.

I got a STC1000 in the mail too! Now once I find a cheap dorm fridge I'll have a fermentation chamber! :rockin:

I got two igniters for my Camp Chef stove. Tired of trying to light the burners with a long BBQ lighter.

Did you document this?...love to see what you came up with.

So I did the tasting today, me along with three other people. What we found was that we could easily tell that there was a noticeable difference between each one, but identifying the specific flavors of each hop was a little more challenging for us. Once we read the description of each hop then tasted again we'd be like "oh yeah, I taste that." For example, I would sample, pick up 'fruit' notes but I was unable to refine it further from there. Then I would read the description of the hop see it should have 'apple and pear notes' taste again and pick up on the specific flavors.

A couple of times I read an incorrect description as kind of a blind test and both times I got "I'm not getting that flavor at all" from those doing the tasting with me, so I don't think by telling them what flavors to expect it was me planting ideas on what flavors they should be picking up in their heads.

The hop flavor really did come through with the Bud Light, not so much on the aromas unfortunately. I would pick up on that generic hop aroma, but not really any of the unique notes I should have been getting. I wonder if this from trying to dry-hop an already carbonated beer.

Despite that, I think the experiment went well and would be a really interesting way to test different dry-hop combinations when developing a recipe.

Couple of things I learned was that I don't care for Columbus by itself as much as I thought I would, but blending it with some of the more fruity options (such as Citra) worked well. Now I know to use it as a complimentary hop in my IPA's not a feature hop. The other thing is that even hops that are recommended substitutes for each other can be vastly different. Something to keep in mind if the LHBS is out of the variety you are looking for, especially if trying to clone something.

i got my very first brewing kit today. a scottish ale 60 from ritebrew dry yeast version came with DME, specialty grains, muslin bag for steeping, s-05 yeast, and instructions.cant wait to run it this weekend

i got my very first brewing kit today. a scottish ale 60 from ritebrew dry yeast version came with DME, specialty grains, muslin bag for steeping, s-05 yeast, and instructions.cant wait to run it this weekend

Quick words of advice that I am sure you have read here already.

- Ignore the Primary X days, transfer to secondary for X days, then bottle instructions. Primary until you get the same gravity readings over 3 days. You do not have to secondary unless you are adding fruit or racking over wood, etc.
- Remember that fermentation temperature is key. Keep the fermentation temps as consistant as possible, especially in the first few days of fermentation.
- You have not ruined your beer, just be clean and sanitize, don't worry.
- Have fun!

I got some wine! Got a bottle of 2011 Lava Vines Syrah, Charbay R5 whisky, Charbay Distiller's port, and another 2006 syrah... Forgot the year...

Yesterday I got a pound of Nelson Sauvin, a pound of Columbus, & a 100g can of hop extract from Yakima Valley in the mail. SWMBO gave me my early Christmas gift which was a 2.5 gallon keg system from Williams Brewing yesterday as well.

I can't wait to try the hop extract in my next brew (Enjoy By IPA) and to try kegging for the first time with half of the Mosaic Double Sunshine I've got fermenting.

Back