can I save post boil wort for starters later ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't can my starter wort- but I freeze it and then bring it to a boil briefly before using it. It works well, and I've done it quite a few times. It's not any easier than using DME to make a starter, but it works when I don't have any DME on hand.

Yooper said:
I don't can my starter wort- but I freeze it and then bring it to a boil briefly before using it. It works well, and I've done it quite a few times. It's not any easier than using DME to make a starter, but it works when I don't have any DME on hand.

Good idea, Im gonna try that.

What type of vessel do you freeze the wort in?

^, that's what I do, I throw it in a ziplock bag and freeze until needed.

I do the same thing. I usually pour the whole leftover gunk from te bottom of the kettle into a growler and then let it settle for a day. Pour off the clear stuff and freeze. After thawing I dilute it down to 1.040, give it a quick boil and it's ready to go.z

I use a stovetop pressure cooker to boil 1 quart mason jars filled with 80 grams of dme each and add water up to the fill line. This works great because it's quick and easy and theres no chance of botulism or anything like that. I use one for 5 gal and step up two for 10. Makes 7 at a time.

Back