American Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckus95

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew my first American Stout. After doing some research, I have developed the following recipe. I'm shooting for a caramel/nutty flavor, which is why I included the Chocolate Malt and Kiln Coffee. I don't have any experience with either Choc Malt or Kiln Coffee so I don't know if the amounts that I have included will give the desired flavors that I am looking for. If anyone sees a problem with the Choc Malt, Kiln Coffee or any other grains, I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

With regard to the hops, I am using Newport, Willamette and Glacier together because I have them at home and need to use them soon. I have never used them together, so, if anyone thinks that there will be any conflict between them, please let me know.

This is a 4 gallon recipe. I plan to mash at 152 degrees for 60 mins. OG = 1.061; FG = 1.016; IBUs = 61; SRM = 37; ABV = 5.9%

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Grains

6 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Flaked Barley
8 oz Crystal 120 L
8 oz Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee Malt
6 oz Roasted Barley
6 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops

1 oz Newport 60 mins
.5 oz Willamette 30 mins
.5 oz Glacier 20 mins
.5 oz Glacier 10 mins

Yeast

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Looks like a pretty solid recipe for what you are going for. Good luck! Post what you brew and how it turns out.

If you've never brewed the style before and you've never dealt with certain ingredients before, simplify.

First, have a look at the BJCP style guidelines for American Stout. That'll give you some guidance as to what flavors/aromas you're looking for.

Second, think about the ingredients you know, and how they go together. Only then should you consider adding something new to the mix.

Third, think about how all the flavor descriptors for all the ingredients might meld.

Fourth, try designing a recipe. ;)

Now, other comments/advice.

1. Ditch the CaraPils. You're a mashing brewer. You have the technology to do everything with your mash that CaraPils provides. Remove it from your golf bag because you no longer need it. In this recipe, you'll get plenty of body from flaked barley and crystal malt. You'll get plenty of foam enhancement from flaked barley, crystal malt and roasted grains. In other recipes you can fiddle with mash procedure to give you everything you'd otherwise get from CaraPils.

2. Choose another yeast. That yeast is a terrible Stout yeast (IMO). Use an American ale yeast like 1056 (if liquid) or S-05 (if dry).

3. Unlike most stouts, American Stout can have a hops flavor/aroma. Unfortunately, you really need a more assertive variety than Glacier to make it come across. You'll get hints of hops flavor/aroma in this beer, but I don't think you'll have anything overt. That may be good, it may be bad, I dunno! :)

4. That's a lot of Crystal 120. That's pretty potent stuff, even in Stout. If you have it and want to use it, don't go more than 6 ounces in five gallons. I think 4 oz will be plenty for flavor.

5. I think the flaked barley is a good choice. While American Stout is more known for the body/mouthfeel provided by Crystal malt, the flaked will provide the body you'll lose by reducing the Crystal 120L to manageable levels.

6. I don't think you really need the Coffee malt. Roasted barley and Chocolate malt possess a lot of those flavors already. I'd reserve the Coffee malt; if you think the beer lacks a certain oomph when it's packaging time, just brew some coffee and add it to the keg/bottling bucket to taste. Or you can brew the recipe again and add in the coffee malt. I'd omit the Coffee malt and increase the Roasted Barley and Chocolate Malt amounts to 8 ounces each.

That's about it! Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Back