March pumps: reposition the inlet/outlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
i just bought two brand new March 815-PL pumps, with the side inlet\outlets. is it possible to repostion the housing so the inlet will face upwards?

Yes just unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the plastic cover to the metal motor housing and turn it any direction you want. Don't worry about pulling the housing off because the only thing on the motor is a round magnet to drive the impeller (no loose parts).

Turn it any way you want wrt to the motor and mounts, but wrt gravity, there are only two positions worth considering: facing the pump head with the motor behind, the outlet pointing to 12 O'Clock is best, followed by the outlet pointing to 3 O'Clock...

Cheers!

If you want to turn the pump head, you can do so but ONLY unscrew the 4 Phillips screws holding the pump head to the motor bracket. DO NOT unscrew the 4 flat head screws. We use an alignment fixture here at the factory to center the drive magnet in side that motor bracket. If you unscrew the 4 flat head screws you will throw off the alignment and it may rub when you go to turn it on or worse case it will jam if its off far enough. You can get it back by trial and error by loosening the flat head screws slightly and taping the bracket aroudn till you get it going again, but it will take a little time.

-Walter

P1040354.jpg

I can tell you that I've tried inlet on the top, inlet on the side and inlet on the bottom. The latter is a no priming hassle.

Back