Help with designing Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmallon

Reaction score
I was looking to pick up this Westinghouse 16 cubic foot upright freezer from Craigslist.
3nd3k23m7ZZZZZZZZZ963522e1d520a52149e.jpg
3ne3mc3oeZZZZZZZZZ963129ebf44506c1748.jpg

I am still pretty new with building kegerators (this would be my first one) and needed some advice.

1) Good Purchase? It is only $65 dollars.
2) How many cornies would this fit(est)? My guess was six...three top and three bottom.
3) Would I be able to fit a half barrel keg in here, with a couple of cornies still on tap?

Thanks for all the help.

Not sure if you can stack cornies in a freezer and have them fit. My gut says no. I would say 4 cornies and room for some bottles left over. Check the shelves and see if they have coolant running through them. If so, you would have to be very careful to bend the shelves out of the way without causing a leak in the line.

It may also be necessary to remove the inner door panel (Shelves) and replace with a flat piece of plastic from the hardware megastore.

I think a standard corny is about 9" in diameter, and approx 24" tall. That's just off the top of my head. Then add a small bit for the disconnects on top too. I cut a piece of cardboard into the 9" circle and used that to judge how much room I had.

There is a thread on this forum that has people posting pictures of their kegerators. You might get ideas by browsing through there (and it's just interesting too).

+1 on being careful with the shelves as they are part of the cooling system and most likely will not be able to move them let alone remove them.

I would push you towards trying to find a chest freezer if you can. they can be found for similar prices, and will hold tempratures alot better than an upright when you open the door.

a 7CuFt chest freezer will hold 4 cornies without a colar. The main difference with the chest freezer, is you do have to do a tower or colar if you want to put taps on it. I am happywith my cobras

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I will pass on the upright, and wait to find a chest freezer. Doesn't seem like I want to be messing around with the coolant in the shelves. Thanks again.

Back