Ahhhh F**K IT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
I am having one of those days and it ain't even Friday yet.... :mad:

Back up about 24 hours....

SWMBO's b-day was yesterday and all was good until I took her demon crotch fruit (My eventual step-dufus) to Tar-Jay to pick up cards, flowers and gift... Apparently the little twerp is so socially inept that he cannot pick a card for her... So he decides he wants to give her the one I picked out... Then he finds one he likes better, so at least I get my first pick... Fine... So we meander over to the floral dept and he proceeds to explain how he doesn't like to get gifts for people because he is 'no good at it'...

(Tangent - this is all after he explained the night prior how he wants us to drive him all over God's green Earth to hang out with his friends)

So on the ride home, I explain to him, "Go upstairs, give your mom a hug, a kiss and tell her 'Happy Birthday'!"... He asked when she is getting home and I explain that she is already there... I have him sign his card in the driveway (where he hands me back the card, not in the envelope and proceeds to tell me how we are abusing the environment by wasting an envelope that we aren't mailing... f*cking hippy).. I told him to take the flowers to her... He then replies 'What do you mean?'... After a 5 minute back and forth, he says "Well how I am supposed to give them to her if she isn't here?"...

I am now trying to find the strength from drowning him on a keggle of Star San....

(The highlights of evening are SWMBO had a lovely time at dinner and she, as a surprise, got me two Pilsner-esque glasses w/ Duckfoot Brewing engraved on them and had them hidden in the cupboard... I love this girl...)

Fast forward to today... I get the new stainless weld-less valve I ordered in the mail, so I figure I can get the keggle ready for an inaugural brew this week, since I am kicking my last keg of Apfelwein... (IPA, Vanilla Porter, Apfelwein and SWMBO's Hard Strawberry Lemonade are soooooo close at the moment....)

However Satan's Step-Demon has other plans, including a full on scream-fest about a set time to have homework started... FYI : He failed two classes last semester on his "Let me show you how I can do it myself" attitude...

All in all, I spent the last 4 hours dealing with 15 years of split family bullsh*t, that wasn't mine...

Essentially, his life sucks... It is all someone else's fault and he doesn't want any responsibility in helping himself... He is a negative dwelling soul who has no freedom, yet he only wants responsibility on his terms...

Think the bruises will show if I hit him with a pillowcase full of oranges?

:drunk:

I am spent... Thanks...

:mug:

demon crotch fruit... step dufus.... Satan's step demon.... Heh.

So how old is the little pecker-head? My youngest went through a rebellious phase and it took a LONG time to knock it out of him. Some times it's more work for you to force them to do it your way than it is to excuse them, but it's worth it in the long run. Just make sure that it's at least as unpleasant for him as it is for you.

Not to appear like being on the kid's side, but he's apparently come from a broken home. This can be tougher on kids (psychologically) than many people realize. I'm not saying I know how to deal with the kid, but I know a little bit how he feels. It's good that he has his mom and now a father figure willing to try to help him.

It sucks, but what can you do? I have seen this before.

You can either keep trying to bond, or simply explain why he is not pleasant to be around and let the mom deal out the love.

Likely he won't "get it" until he has to deal with life's responsibilities on his own, if at all. But, he won't get there on his own, so you decide to help him be better, or stay the hell out of it.

I'd also talk with SWMBO about his attitude, and try not to use names like "Crotch Fruit" I doubt they'd go over very well.

I was just needing a vent... he isn't really a bad kid, he just has it in his head that he is the only one who has ever dealt with these types of things... This of course went over like a turd in a punchbowl when I reminded him that my parents split when I was 5... He kinda piped down about it...

He is just going through the woa is me teenage phase where he wants responsibility yet is unwilling to make any effort on his part for anything... He has yet to grasp the concept of earning things (which SWMBO and I have talked about) and he likes to throw everything negative in his mother's face during discussions... It is all her fault that his father left and doesn't make the effort to spend quality time with his son...

We could spend all weekend doing 'fun' things and he will focus on the small seemingly insignificant items that may be 'bad' and bring those back up in the next argument... In his own words, it is never enough for him to be completely happy...

He is not only going through the teenage stage, but also only-child and divorced kid syndrome... Whiny smartassed unappriciative spoiled little bugger...

I am sure we will figure something out...

Yikes, don't know what to say. My own kids are too young for me to have to deal with that yet, but I think I may know a bit how that kid feels.

My parents were divorced when I was in 2nd grade, and it was devastating for me. My mom got remarried when I was a sophomore in high school. Needless to say, me and my stepdad did not get along at all. Knock down drag out fights, the whole 9 yards. I was thrown out of the house with a 2-hour notice a week after high school graduation. We didn't reconcile until I was in my late 20s.

Looking back, I could have been more mature about the situation and controlled my own behavior better, but there is nothing he could have done to help me along on that path. I just needed to grow up in my own time without him looking over my shoulder all the time.

So, my advice is to give the kid as much space as he can handle without self destructing or burning down the house. He'll come around to you eventually, even if it takes a decade or more. When discipline does have to be metted out, do it even handedly and without visible anger. Set clear boundaries, tell him what what will happen if he crosses those boundaries, and then followup consistently when he crosses them. Its all you can do.

Maybe if he hung out with the emo kids he's cut his wrists and then you wouldn't have to deal with him.

(I'm obviously joking)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if this continues through to the end of high school, the military might be an option that would help him learn how to accept responsibility... even better if he decided to do it all on his own.

You've got my vote for favorite rant of the weekend so far. Startin' off with a bang around here!

Back