Biscuit flavors using extract w/ specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinthehull

Reaction score
I'm planning an ESB for my fourth batch. I've got my crystal malts figured out, but I'd like to add a touch of biscuit flavor. Evyen after looking at the malt chart, I'm having trouble finding a grain I can steep instead of mashing that will give me this. Any suggestions?

From my understanding, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, you can steep victory and biscuit to gain the flavor and aroma. But it will not add to your OG. I have always used Victory in my extract Bitters, ESB, and Browns.

runitis said:
From my understanding, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, you can steep victory and biscuit to gain the flavor and aroma. But it will not add to your OG. I have always used Victory in my extract Bitters, ESB, and Browns.

Good to know. How much do you typically use in a 5 gallon batch?

I was thinking this forma five gallon batch:

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
73% 6 0 Northern Brewer Pilsen LME 36 2 ~
12% 1 0 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 34 60 ~
6% 0 8 Cara 8 (Cara-Pils) 30 8 ~
6% 0 8 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 ~
3% 0 4 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 34 80 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

It sucks that if I add victory to hopville, it's increasing my OG, so I think it assumes I'm mashing it.

I agree with Yoop, cut down on the crystals. Personally I would cut the Crystal 80 and CaraPils and add a 1/2lb of Victory.

Yooper said:
That looks like 21% crystal/caramel malts. That's a lot. I'd cut that down.

Thanks for commenting Yooper. I've spent a lot of time staring at your recipes!

I could bring the C 60 down to 8 oz. That would make it 15%. I added the C 80 because I'll have it left over from my batch this weekend. I thought it would be nice to have some darker color and a variety of crystal. Do you think I'd be better to keep the entire pound of C 60 and lose the C 80?

Thanks for commenting Yooper. I've spent a lot of time staring at your recipes!

I could bring the C 60 down to 8 oz. That would make it 15%. I added the C 80 because I'll have it left over from my batch this weekend. I thought it would be nice to have some darker color and a variety of crystal. Do you think I'd be better to keep the entire pound of C 60 and lose the C 80?

I like the idea of the darker/lighter mix. I often do that with grainbills- I find that a "mix" of different crystal malts (I think Jamil Zainasheff called it "layering") gives a depth that is great. I don't think there is much difference between 60L and 80L, but it's really noticeable with something like a mix of 20L and 80L. I'd go with less crystal 60L and use the 80L in this case.

Ok, maybe this will be better. I reduced the C60 by 8oz, cara-pils by 4 oz, and added 4 oz of C80. This way my SRM is still at least 10. I don't want this to turn out to be too golden. This change also takes the specialty grains down to 15%. I still like the idea of using victory, but I'm unsure about it.

MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
77% 6 0 Northern Brewer Pilsen LME 36 2 ~
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 34 80 ~
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 34 60 ~
3% 0 4 Cara 8 (Cara-Pils) 30 8 ~

Ok, maybe this will be better. I reduced the C60 by 8oz, cara-pils by 4 oz, and added 4 oz of C80. This way my SRM is still at least 10. I don't want this to turn out to be too golden. This change also takes the specialty grains down to 15%. I still like the idea of using victory, but I'm unsure about it.

MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
77% 6 0 Northern Brewer Pilsen LME 36 2 ~
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 34 80 ~
6% 0 8 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 34 60 ~
3% 0 4 Cara 8 (Cara-Pils) 30 8 ~

I'd probably take out the carapils (you don't need it) and add .25 pound of victory or biscuit malt for a toasty/biscuit flavor since that is something you wanted all along!

I'd probably take out the carapils (you don't need it) and add .25 pound of victory or biscuit malt for a toasty/biscuit flavor since that is something you wanted all along!

+1 to Yooper. You don't need that much body from the carapils w/ all of the crystal malts in there. .5 to 1 lb of Victory or biscuit is a must though! I love me some biscuit malt.

Yooper said:

That sounds good. I'll add 4oz of victory since you both agree on it. I like the idea of using victory, i've just seen people and resources say you have to mash it in. I had the carapils in there because I saw it in someone's redhook esb clone. Thamks again for the help.

Back