what will this be like? had to compromise :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
I made a black IPA well kinda..lol

10# williams stout LME
1/2# table sugar
2oz. cascade whole hops 60 min
1 oz. magnum pellets at 60min
2oz. cascade whole at 10 min
2oz. columbus whole at 10 min
(dry hopping 1oz of cascade pellets in a week)

here's the catch I had to use wine yeast because it was all I had (oops) and was unable to leave the house :( I used cote des montrechet and pasteur red yeast from red star.

I made a black IPA well kinda..lol

10# williams stout LME
1/2# table sugar
2oz. cascade whole hops 60 min
1 oz. magnum pellets at 60min
2oz. cascade whole at 10 min
2oz. columbus whole at 10 min
(dry hopping 1oz of cascade pellets in a week)

here's the catch I had to use wine yeast because it was all I had (oops) and was unable to leave the house :( I used cote des montrechet and pasteur red yeast from red star.

doesn't really look like a 'black IPA' recipe. first off, stout LME will have WAY to much black and chocolate malt for a Cascadian Dark (black IPA), as those have VERY little dark grains, usually around 2/3rds to 3/4s LB of debittered black, or dehusked carafa II. second, WAY too much hops for bittering, shoot for 50-60 IBU from the bittering shot. and third, not to nitpick, but if you have whole and pellet cascade, wouldn't it make more sense to use the pellets in the boil and dry hop with the whole? just saying. either way, you're going to end up with a super bitter, very hoppy beer with a malt flavor comparable to a stout, which is nothing like any black ipa i've drank, or brewed.

out of curiosity, why wine yeast in a beer?

Three problems:
1. Stouts have grains that do not play well with high hop aroma.
2. Wine yeast will not be able to ferment much of the sugars. They have been selected to work well with fructose and sucrose. I recommend you stock up on a good dry ale yeast and pitch a packet asap.
3. Seriously over-bittered.

Three problems:
2. Wine yeast will not be able to ferment much of the sugars. They have been selected to work well with fructose and sucrose. I recommend you stock up on a good dry ale yeast and pitch a packet asap....

Just wanted to chime in here and disagree. Wine yeasts will work fine for beer - I've done it, though not with those particular strains. They can handle pretty much the same sugars as an ale yeast - maybe somewhat less of the more complex ones like maltotriose, but then again ale yeasts can't really handle maltotriose either. There's a great Brewing Network podcast with Shea Comfort about using wine yeast in beer - it is well worth the listen - chock full of information.

I agree that this isn't going to be a black IPA, maybe more like an American Stout. You probably won't get much wine character from the yeast given the dark, roasty character of the beer, but I think this should work just fine.

Back