11 gallon Better Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about 10 gallon plus fermenting vessels. I don't have the coin for a conical.

I have a sanke I could use, but I'm not sure about cleaning it. I'm considering THIS.

I believe it's food safe as it is rated for "drinking glasses." Anyone else have good options for a larger fermenting vessel? Does Better bottle make a 10 gallon or larger fermenting vessel?

Many thanks.

My dad used to make wine in the 15 gallon blue barrel you posted. It was a cherry wine recipe written on the back of a napkin his buddy gave it to him. Living on a dairy farm, we had a few of those laying around cause thats what iodine came in. You used the iodine to clean the cows udders before you milk them. The joke was, if you have a glass of that wine every day, you'd never get mastitis (few people will get that joke).

I ferment in sanke's, no worries cleaning them. I do a 2 day oxiclean soak with hot water, and if you're really paranoid you can fill them 1/4 the way up with water/oxi and put them on the burner for a few minutes.

I have a 15-16 gallon version of the 'brew cube' posted earlier. I did a 7.5 gallon batch in it and I guess it worked out ok. The beer sucked because I couldn't keep that size fermenter cold during fermentation. Those brew cubes use a special cover and you need to treat them carefully. I wasn't able to get an air-tight seal either, maybe sme keg lube in the threads would help that.

Mine is this version with the angled opening. I can get 13 gallons in there with enough headroom to easily ferment.

http://www.lnt.com/product/11442-105304/vittles-vault-vittles-vault-stackable-food-containers.html

If I could get a demijohn cheap I would use that.

The open top type barrels are much easier to clean, they make them from 8-55 gallons. The one we use is 25 gallons and had olives in it, I made a rack to hold it at an angle, drilled a hole in the lid for an airlock bung and a hole in the bottom corner for a valve, it works great.

Sankes also work fine, just clean them like you clean a carboy.

If you want to see the quality of the cubed fermenters and check prices, go by your local Petsmart or Pet Superstore.

These same exact cubes are sold and marketed to hold dog and cat food. If you buy it from the pet store your fermenter will be decorated with little animal paws.

Lol, thats true I scavanged my big one from the trash, someone was throwing it out and it still had dog food in it. I wonder if a dog didn't die so I could have my fermenter.

If you already have a sanke why not use that? I have read that a ton of people use those and a good oxyclean rinse and boil/steam clean works great. I personally haven't done it yet but I have two sanke's laying around that I am going to use to ferment with my next brews.

If you already have a sanke why not use that? I have read that a ton of people use those and a good oxyclean rinse and boil/steam clean works great. I personally haven't done it yet but I have two sanke's laying around that I am going to use to ferment with my next brews.

I'm definitely considering it. I use heat sticks so I don't think I can boil/steam clean it. I have a propane burner, so I'm wondering if my ventilation system is adequate.

Secondly, I hate siphoning. I'd like to use something I can put a valve on.

That leaves me unable to make a decision. Can't see any reason not to at least try the sanke, though.

Just boil a couple gallons and the steam that will run up through the top hole will clean it after about 10-15 minites. I read you can use a carboy cap and a racking cane hooked up to low co2 and transfer..

Latest posts

Back