Smoked IRA Critique.....will this suck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshirtproud

Reaction score
So this is my first go at Beersmith and I was hopeing some of you more experienced guys could help out? I was hopeing to create something unique yet fairly easy to drink, I like smoked beers I have had so it became a smoked IRA and I added the Grains of paradise in for a peppery bite similar to Sam Adams holiday ale. Im still a Noob only 1 AG in and a handfull of pm.
So......Do you think this will be totaly bad or should I add or take away anything?

smoked IRA
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/27/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: zac
Boil Size: 6.62 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.75 lb Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 18.92 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
2.20 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.30 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 21.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 17.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.25 lb
Sparge Water: 4.84 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.56 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.6 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

So......Do you think this will be totaly bad or should I add or take away anything?

It's your beer but have you ever used peat smoked malt before? Agree with remilard that 18.92% of the stuff is way, way too much. The beer may end up tasting like a blend of a cigar butt and a burned tire. Wood smoked malt has a far better flavor IMO but if you want the peat smoked cut the amount way back unless you have experienced it and truly love the stuff. To get the red ale color you will only need a couple of ounces of roasted barley. A half pound may turn the beer more brown than red and probably make it taste very "stouty".
:mug:

It's your beer but have you ever used peat smoked malt before? Agree with remilard that 18.92% of the stuff is way, way too much. The beer may end up tasting like a blend of a cigar butt and a burned tire. Wood smoked malt has a far better flavor IMO but if you want the peat smoked cut the amount way back unless you have experienced it and truly love the stuff. To get the red ale color you will only need a couple of ounces of roasted barley. A half pound may turn the beer more brown than red and probably make it taste very "stouty".
:mug:

Would Rauchmalt be a better fit? If so then how muchwould give a decent hint of smoke, I have never used either one. also thanks for the tip on the Roasted barley, I will have to take that into account.

Any comments on the GoP?

Would Rauchmalt be a better fit? If so then how muchwould give a decent hint of smoke, I have never used either one. also thanks for the tip on the Roasted barley, I will have to take that into account.

Any comments on the GoP?

The German smoked malt is smoked with wood and is designed to brew beer with so from that standpoint alone I think it makes a better choice for a smoke flavored beer. If you really like smoke flavor in a beverage you could use the amount in your original recipe and sub the Rauchmalt for the peated malt. Otherwise I might cut it to a pound and see how you like it. As far as the GoP I'm not much for spices in beer but the peppery accent from the GoP might go good with the smokiness.

I have changed it up a little, I hope this looks better.
smoked IRA
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/27/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: zac
Boil Size: 6.62 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.42 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 18.42 %
1.00 lb Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
1.00 oz Columbia [5.50 %] (90 min) Hops 20.2 IBU
2.20 gm Seeds of Paradise (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.51 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 14.8 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.79 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 21.6 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Dude, Cut back on the smoked malt to around 1/4 - 1/2 pound.. the rule of thumb with smoked malt is "a little dab will do ya".

Other wise the recipe looks solid.

Also, grains of paradise are VERY potent. Cut that back to like .5g for an IPA. I did a quadrupel that used 0.5g grains of paradise and it was quite noticable, even with all the other funky stuff going on. I might increase the paradise grains to 1g in the future, but I think for an IPA 0.5g will be plenty.

Really, I used 4oz of peat smoked malt in a Scottish strong and it was overwhelming. It also tasted like crap because of the peat, rauchmalt tastes much better, but I'm not a fan of either really.

Back