Lid for a Sanke Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjuice

Reaction score
I am about to cut down a pony keg into a brew kettle. Can anybody throw out what they have used for lids on these? I guess I could keep the section I cut out and try to hammer it down to thin it out but that doesn't seem like it would work very well.

By the way, this forum is great! I have been away from homebrewing for a while now and all of this discussion has got me salivating again! Can't wait to get underway...

I have seen pics of some who welded washers onto the edges of the cutout so that it would hang in the opening. They then added a thermometer, I believe, in the opening in the middle of the cutout. I cannot remember whose idea this was, but I was interested since I am planning on cutting up a keg in the next couple weeks. I will try to find the link and post it. Thanks to whoever's idea it was btw, since I plan on using it.

Use the biggest lid you have in your kitchen, place it centered on top of the pony and trace just around the inside of the lid. Cut out the domed top of the keg, do not cut the top off from the sides. The cutting of the steel will be a pain in the butt, just giving you warning.

AHammer16 said:
Use the biggest lid you have in your kitchen, place it centered on top of the pony and trace just around the inside of the lid. Cut out the domed top of the keg, do not cut the top off from the sides. The cutting of the steel will be a pain in the butt, just giving you warning.

Find someone with a plasma cutter:D Any metal shop will do it for ya for a cheap price

anthrobe said:
Find someone with a plasma cutter:D Any metal shop will do it for ya for a cheap price

Yeah i wish i did that before the 3 hour swearing session with my sawzall and my keggle.

Weenie. I did mine with a grinder.:D

Well, I took a novel approach and went with a large grinder with a steel cutting wheel. I used a dremel to make my outline cut and then I went to town with the grinder. Took me less than five minutes once I started cutting. Then went back over the lip with a grinding wheel on the grinder and finally a sandpaper wheel on the dremel. I am pretty sure I have steel embedded in my face, arms, hands, etc. etc. but the keggle kicks ass!!!!:cool:

I HIGHLY recommend goggles, gloves and hearing protection. The cut isn't beautiful but I have the edges smoothed out nicely and it is very functional. I am not one of those guys who is going to spend hours polishing the outside of my keg.

I got an empty, serviceable keg for $30!! And to make it even better, the owner of the store knew I was going to cut it up. He opened his back room door and told me to have my pick. I got a Labatt's keg with a blue ring around it. It looks pretty sweet and it is sparkling clean on the inside (after I drained off the quart of old beer).

I have a nice glass lid from the kitchen that fits great. The wife won't notice for a week or so...

I did try to take the section of the top that was cut out and hammer it down on an anvil. Technically this could work but it looked like crap and was a pain in the ass.

I am going to get all the necessary weldless gear from Northern Brew. They seemed to have a better selection and pricing on that specific category when compared to B3.

Back