Build idea, and how much heat UNDER the burners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
How hot does it get under a typical propane burner?

I am trying to design a modular and mobile brewstand setup. I have no space for a normal brewstand, but if I can have two smaller stands, one for the kettle and one for the Mashtun, I can try to stash one INSIDE the other one.

It will be a two-tier stand with one pump.

Right now, I set my brewpot on the burner stand. Right now, I have a Bayou SP-10, but left it out over the winter, so it's a bit rusty. I want to get something better eventually. My MLT sits elevated above the kettle on a workmate workbench. I lift the pot up to that level to drain into my fermenter. However, I'm stepping up to ten gallon batches, so I wo'nt be able to pick the pot up. Everything will have to be in place from the start.

So here's what's I'm thinking.

I plan on building using black iron pipe. First, will this stand up to the head of a burner? I do plan on painting with high-temp paintto protect the surface, though I know that won't do anything for the integrity.

If I mount the burner near the top of the stadnd (I think the stand needs to be at least two and a half feet tall so I can siphon into my 10 gallon corny to ferment), can I mount a rubber hose CFC and my Little Giant pump at the bottom of the stand? How much heat gets thrown off the bottom of one of these burners?

How much distance do you anticipate between burner and pump assembly? I've recently moved up to the 11" Banjo Burners and am still trying to find ways to contain the heat that comes off these burners.

Is the pump going to be attached and left in place?

I ask because on my fairly compact stand, where I end up mounting the terminator would probably cause it to get too hot to touch but I don't mount until nearly the end of my boil, therefore the HLT burner is no longer in use.

I was thinking of putting the pump in a toolbox so I could slide it away from the burner stand a little.

My fermenters (two 10 gallon cornys) are two feet tall, so the spout on the boil kettle needs to be 26ish inches tall. Putting the bottom of the kettle at 24 inches should cover that. So the stands will be two feet tall.

Not sure how tall the burners are, but I assume the tops need to be 10-12 inches from the bottom of the kettle, so assume the bottom of the burner at the lowest point may be a 16 inches from the top. This leaves an eight inch space at the bottom of the stand. If I install diamond plate or something under the burner and mount the CFC right on the bottom of the stand, I'm thinking I may be able to deflect enough heat. If not, I add another six inches or so to the stand height.

I haven't drawn any of this up yet. I'm thinking about welding my own stand now, so it'll be more flexible in configuration than if I build with black iron pipe.

I have to say it gets pretty warm underneath the burners when you have pots on them, especially if you have heat shields on the perimeter of your burner area. I would not store a black rubber garden hose CFC within 18" of my BG-14 banjo burner. My pumps are mounted beneath the burners but I've also got steel sheet metal splash/heat guards that keep them fine. I would definitely not use a plastic toolbox anywhere on the stand, maybe if it was a couple of feet away.

Back