Belgian Strong ale, 80 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I've made a belgian strong ale.

This post worried me:

Yikes! 80F is very warm. Are you noticing any fusel or other off flavors at that temp? I'd think you might get a lot of banana notes that warm, the warmest I've tried WLP300 at is a high of 78F during the 10 days of fermenting. One day or two that warm may not be too bad. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.

I've heard belgian ales can handle high temperatures, but my brew has fermented at aprodox 80 degrees for 9 days. It had a starting gravity of 80.

I would like to know if you think it has plently of fusel? I tasted it, it tasted a bit unusual, but it was not terrible.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Kind regards,
Marius

Are you using WLP300 in your Belgian? That's a German Hefe strain, not a belgian yeast strain...If you aren't using that I would ignore his opinion...if you are brewing a belgian using belgian yeast you want to push the temp up a bit to get that fruity, esterry character to it. I pointed a space heater at mine for a few days. I just tasted my hydro sample, and it's gonna be nice once it's carbed up...

Each yeast is different and there are different sets of rules, just like there are for different styles...where he's talking about esters not being flattering in whatever style he's talking about, for a belgian it's a different set of rules al together...that's why the style is so popular, becasue besides tasting damn good, you can brew ales in hot whether and have them turn out great, with all sorts of funk. Google the wiki article for saisons and you will see...

ANd remember since it's strong it will need some aging to tone down the alcohol content.

Its wyeast 1388. I pitched at aprox 70, and was left there over night.

Its wyeast 1388. I pitched at aprox 70, and was left there over night.

Well then, you are talking about a totally different yeast strain....like I said in my previous post (which I added to so go back and re-read it) different rules apply, so a generalization made about yeast fermenting at a high temp doesn't necessarily relate to your situation does it?

Relax...:mug:

Right from the horses mouth...

YEAST STRAIN: 1388 | Belgian Strong Ale™

Back to Yeast Strain List

Classic yeast for this beer style. Robust flavor profile with moderate to high alcohol tolerance. Fruity nose and palate, dry, tart finish. May continue to produce CO2 for an extended period after packaging or collection, while in refrigerated storage.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-80° F (18-27° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12-13% ABV

Styles:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Belgian Tripel
Bière de Garde
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer

Like I said, you are worrying for naught.

I love you Revvy, you can quote this to your signature if you want ;) because I am very relieved now :D :D

Marius

Back